Consider colleges outside California

Dear Editor:

After reading the Nov. 18 article, CSF adviser to head SoCal college tour, I began to reflect on my own college search, which happened not too long ago.

Although I participated in CSF, I never went on the college trip with Mrs. Sargent, but I wish I had. I think it’s important to see as many college campuses as possible before making a choice.

However, I think many FC students focus too heavily on Fresno and California schools. I know that out of my graduating class (2010) I was one of only two students to leave the state.

Although I have been separated from friends and family and doled out extra cash for plane flights, I have never regretted my decision to move to Washington. I have learned so many things about Washington, Montana, Alaska and other locales I knew nothing about. In that way my mindset has been expanded significantly.

Additionally, this separation from Fresno has taught me to be truly independent. I talk to my family on the phone and on Skype, but I feel that I have the freedom and circumstances to find my own way. While this is sometimes scary, it has made me a more mature person.

Of course, I’m a bit biased, but I would encourage juniors and seniors choosing schools to look at Whitworth University. My experience here has been phenomenal.

The way it balances a genuine faith in Christ with a serious commitment to quality academics and sports is really amazing. The community is tight-knit and incredibly warm.

Whether snow and liberal arts in Washington is your speed or not, I encourage you to look beyond the “saf”” options when you choose your future home. It is a stretching and extremely fulfilling experience.

Wherever The Feather readers end up, I wish you the best as you choose your future home.

Suzanna Quiring is the former editor-in-chief of The Feather. She is currently studying English at Whitworth University in Spokane, WA.