Cobb Ranch continues Christmas traditions

As the holidays approach, many families prepare to carry out another year of traditions. Although several places in town offer Christmas trees, a common venue is Cobb Ranch, located off of Highway 41 at Rio Mesa Boulevard.

First established in the 1800s by the Cobb family of cattle ranchers, Cobb Ranch is now known for its cornfield maze, pumpkin patch and Christmas trees during different seasons of the year.

Due to its proximity to Fresno, the location has hosted large events and fundraisers over the years. In earlier years, the ranch included a section called Wildwood Country Club, which was the primary hosting facility for bands from all over the nation.

According to owner Jim Cobb — whose children Jennifer and Thomas both graduated from FC in ’88 and ’91, respectively — his family developed the land and business into what it is today. Among events held at the ranch during different seasons, Cobb says that the most meaningful time of the year is Christmas.

“As a Christian, my heart has always been involved around Christmas,” Cobb said. “My dad planted the original Christmas trees as business crops, so that is my natural background. Even though I don’t technically own this piece of property, it’s still my home and I’ll live here forever.”

However, due to the impact of the economic downturn, Cobb decided to sell part of his property. Cobb still owns the majority of land, but has now passed a parcel of land to new owners.

“I sold the piece of land to friends who care about the property; it’s not unusual for the property to change hands,” Cobb said. “I’m part of the community, so I’ll still be active in it. Cobb Ranch isn’t just Jim Cobb; it functions because of the people who make it function.”

John Rutowicz, ownership crew member of the company that purchased Cobb Ranch, says the location will continue the tradition of selling Christmas trees.

Even though Cobb will not be in charge of the business, the usual trees, garlands, jewelry, vendors and other attractions will still be available. With the exception of trees cut by the public, everything will remain the same as in the past, Rutowicz said.

“So far, going forward, we’re planting more trees to continue the walnut orchard,” Rutowicz said. “The Christmas tradition has been going for years, and we want to keep it alive as long as we can.”

For junior Austen Houts’s family, Cobb Ranch has served as a holiday tradition.

“We live near Cobb Ranch, so my family goes there every year,” Houts said. “It brings an old-fashioned, homey feel to buying a Christmas tree.”

In addition, freshman Elora Hargis appreciates Cobb Ranch for its seasonal attractions.

“I like it ’cause it gets you in the mood for fall, with all the trees changing,” Hargis said. “I also go past Cobb Ranch near the river and have been going there ever since I was in third grade. When I was homeschooled, I went on field trips with other families and with my church youth group.”

Christmas trees are delivered periodically from Oregon right before Thanksgiving. The different varieties include Noble Fur, Douglas and Nordman Christmas trees. Prices can range anywhere from $21-200.

Leading up to the holiday, truckloads come about once every week to restock Christmas trees. Cobb Ranch is open for business every day until a few days before Christmas.

For more information on Cobb Ranch, contact the location at 559.439.0606, or read the Oct. 28 article, Halloween events entertain teens.