How to: Mac and cheese

With Christmas break approaching, students may soon find themselves with time to prepare meals.

However, since most students lack gourmet cooking skills, they can follow these instruments to make macaroni and cheese with bacon, a simple, excellent meal. This recipe will be enough for at least two hungry teens.

Ingredients:

10 oz. macaroni
1 tbsp melted butter
1-2 strips of bacon
10 oz. grated cheese
3/4 cup skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

Step 1: Gather all the supplies and make sure you have everything. If one of the ingredients is missing, the results will not be ideal.

Step 2: Set the stove temperature to medium. Although a lower temperature can work, it would slightly delay the process.

Step 3: Pour two cups of water into a pot. Bring water to a slight boil. Warning: Be careful with boiling water as it can and will burn you if you are not careful when handling the pot.

Step 4: Put the macaroni into the pot and keep it on the stove for about 15 minutes. Stir it every five minutes.

Step 5: While the macaroni is cooking, prepare the bacon (if desired). Lightly grease a skillet with butter or cooking spray. Set stove to medium-high heat.

Place three strips of bacon to a pan or skillet (non-stick best) and cook until crispy, for about 12-15 minutes. Use medium heat as bacon grease will spit at you if too hot. Turn bacon over a few times to cook completely. Once cooked, lay the bacon onto a paper towel to absorb the excess grease. Tip: if bacon is chewy, it is not done–keep cooking. If microwaving bacon, cook time is about 3 minutes on high in a microwave safe container. Cut bacon into small pieces.

Step 6: When the macaroni is ready (soft enough to chew easily), remove the water by straining, pour in the milk and add butter. Let it sit for about 3-4 minutes.

Step 7: Mix and stir the cheese and milk with macaroni are until nice and creamy.

Step 8: Add in the bacon. If desired, you may add salt, pepper.

This quick, simple recipe will consistently provide an enjoyable meal — especially convenient for the three weeks of vacation ahead.

For more how-to articles, read the Dec. 9 article, How to: Breakfast for dinner.