State race tests Yee, strengthens faith

Even though this was my first year on the cross-country team, my experience was one I will never forget.

Since childhood I have been actively involved in sports, but cross-country was one that I never pictured myself doing. When I decided to join the team, it was mainly because my friends Ashley Erickson, ’13, and Rachel Wilhelm, ’11, encouraged me to do so.

After contemplating the idea, I decided to give it a try. Although I knew it would take a lot of discipline, the idea motivated me to get in shape for the upcoming soccer season.

Entering the first week of practice, I became part of a 10-member team: five girls and five guys. Through the daily hour-and-a-half workouts, my teammates’ encouragement helped me stay positive and work hard throughout the season.

As the season progressed, girls on the team slowly dropped out due to injuries, leaving me as the only girl on the team. The situation was discouraging at first, causing me to doubt my abilities to run against other schools on a one-girl team.

Throughout the rest of the season, I struggled to keep a positive attitude. Every race was mentally tough, but once the starting gun shot off, I was ready to give it my best effort.

Although there were no girls besides me, I still had the guys who were always there to cheer. During practice, I thought it was fun doing planks and push-ups alongside them, because it made me want to try harder in order to motivate them to beat me in whatever we did.

In the Valley championship race, I ran against all of the Division V schools, which consisted of 22 girls. Coming into the finish line after a three-mile stretch, I ended up placing ninth, running a personal record of 24:09 and qualifying for State.

At first, the thought of having to train two extra weeks did not excite me; I wanted the season to be over and thought that the Valley meet would be my last race. Coach Ross Laird told me that I needed to qualify for State because he wanted me to set a goal and thought that it was possible.

Two weeks later, I ran in the CIF California State Cross-Country meet at Woodward Park, Nov. 27. The previous day I did not feel any excitement or motivation to run, but when I woke up that morning, a rush of adrenaline ran through me, preparing my mind for the race ahead.

Driving into Woodward Park, the place was packed with people. I had not realized how big the actual meet was. Schools from all over California came to compete in a race for victory, and there I was, coming to run solo. The thought was scary, but I knew the event would end quickly.

Given that it was the weekend after Thanksgiving, coach Laird was in Nevada and drove all the way back to Fresno in order to be at my race. Once he arrived at the park, we met up, and he briefed me on the procedures of the race. Just before the race, Wilhelm, Erickson and Katherine Bennett, ’13, along with Marilyn, Rachel’s mom, arrived to support me while coach Laird prayed over me.

The gun fired and I started a three-mile race against 169 other girls. Throughout the race, a mental battle was stirring. By the second mile, I felt weak and began to slow down. A girl whom I had been running next to slowly moved ahead, but looked back, encouraging me to push on. Hearing her words, I picked up my head and made myself catch up to her.

My body started to feel like it was shutting down by the third and final mile. The thought of dropping out of the race and just sitting down entered my mind, but then I remembered the reason I should have been running for.

God gave me the ability to run. Even if I am not the fastest or greatest runner, He has given me the privilege to use my legs. Close to the finish line, I decided to truly give God my all. The opportunity to run at the State race was a huge honor in itself, but the thing that I wanted to do was represent FC and, most of all, my Heavenly Father.

In the last hundred yards of the race, I kicked into my sprint mode and crossed the finish line at 25:09. Although I did not beat my personal record, the feeling of just finishing was satisfying.

After catching my breath, I was met by a whole group of friends. My family, church and school friends had come to support me. I felt thankful and joyful knowing that people came to encourage me.

The cross-country season had its highs and lows, but the lesson I learned was that no matter how discouraging and impossible a situation may seem, God will always be there to guide and encourage me.

I know that I would not have been able to complete the season if it was not for coach Laird pushing me through practice and telling me I was capable of running against other schools. Most of all, I know that God showed me that when I am weak, He is strong.

For more cross-country experiences, read the Nov. 5, 2009 column, Cross country almost killed me!