Varsity sweeper 'leads by example'

Soccer captain Austin Rurik, ’12, displays his prowess as a third-year varsity player with a passion for soccer that has developed since elementary school.

“I joined soccer because I loved to watch the game,” Rurik said. “I looked up to my brother when he played at a tender age, and I decided I would try my hand at the game.”

Rurik handles the back position of sweeper, which requires him to vocalize and anticipate his opponents’ next moves; at times, he also makes attacking runs.

“I think my position as sweeper is one of my more vocal spots,” Rurik said. “Every once in a while, I will take the ball up the field and attack defenders. This opens up passing lanes and new spaces for offensive players.”

Over the course of the season, Rurik has encouraged his fellow players to work hard and be unified when they step onto the field.

“As a soccer captain, my hope for my teammates is to let my feet do the talking in the game, in practices, and never backing down in anything,” Rurik said. “I also hope that every day my teammates’ skills continue to be refined and sharpened as we practice, work together and grow together.”

Freshman Chris Chon, who is playing soccer for the first time, has learned from Rurik the importance of playing with passion.

“I have learned many things since I started playing soccer,” Chon said. “First time at soccer practice, I wanted to quit playing, and the practice was too hard to catch up. But Austin showed me to never give up and work hard for the season [sic].”

Because of Rurik’s leadership and attitude toward his teammates, head coach Matt Markarian named him a captain.

“I chose Austin because he has the most experience of anyone on the team and he is not afraid to hold teammates accountable,” Markarian said. “Austin does a great job leading our team, as his enthusiasm and energy are contagious for the whole team. He leads by example and is not afraid to let others know when they are not living up to their potential.”

For this season, Markarian expects Rurik to be a model to his fellow players.

“My expectations of Austin are that he shows up every day and models what it is like to be a young Christian athlete for everyone on our team and for teams we play against,” Markarian said.

In addition to playing soccer, Rurik enjoys free time with his family and explores a variety of other interests.

“In my free time, I really enjoy getting together with my friends and family and having good times with them,” Rurik said. “Also, I enjoy reading, photography and spending time at Hume Lake to work odd jobs.”

With a passion for working hard, Rurik plans to continue growing in his soccer abilities this year and next.

“I will keep playing soccer because it’s a talent God has given me,” Rurik said. “The ultimate purpose is to get better and let my light shine to the other teams we play.”

For more information on boys’ soccer, read the Boys’ soccer sport shorts, 2010-11. For more sports profiles, read the Jan. 27 article, Senior captain models basketball expertise, energy.