Shirt choosen as Best of Show

The colors painted on canvas radiated throughout the Big Fresno Fair Junior Exhibit Hall from Oct. 2-13. For about 10 years Sharon Scharf, high school art and home economics teacher, has sent student art and clothing construction examples to the Fresno Fair for competition.

In preparation for art competitions, Scharf chose art and clothing pieces in the spring while at the ACSI Art Festival. Later, she sent many of the same entries to the Big Fresno Fair during the first week of September. Each student was encouraged to submit one or two pieces for the show. Paintings varied from animals and flowers to scenery.

“There is a good variety of paintings and techniques that we sent in,” Scharf said. “It is our way of glorifying and letting God shine out.”

Two out of town judges adjudicated the artwork. Some paintings were given a special award or an honorable mention.

Seniors Austin Livingston and Jamie Meadows had paintings entered in this year’s Big Fresno Fair.

“I saw a picture of a zebra and decided to do scratch board of the zebra,” Livingston said. “It took me about three months to completely finish my project.” Livingston was awarded a second place ribbon.

Meadows created a black and white pencil drawing of a meadow. She was honored with a first place ribbon.

“I love taking an empty page and filling it with a drawing,” Meadows said. “It makes me excited that I could get an idea out of my head and onto the paper.”

Home economics has also become a popular elective as students have been turned away as only 15 students per period are accepted due to kitchen and classroom space. Students learn life skills like cooking, budgeting, nutrition, clothing construction and mending.

In addition to several paintings, Scharf also submitted home economic projects. Senior Chris Vanden Hoek entered his own personalized Hawaiian shirt and won first place in clothing construction with a special award.

“It took about a month to sew the shirt, but it was fun and I enjoyed it,” Vanden Hoek said. “I won Best of the Show and received a sewing machine for a prize.”

D&J Sewing Center of Fresno located at Ashlan & Cedar donated a sewing machine for the winner. This is the first year they have donated a machine.

While art is a required class, bringing some negative reactions, most students can find several art forms to enjoy.

“I have found that the student who doesn’t enjoy art is the student who only wants to socialize or veg’,” Scharf said. “When presented with reality that art requires effort, some students suddenly dislike art. Chris did a marvelous job with his clothing construction piece in home ec and deserved full credit for his Best of Show.”

Although some students may dread art and home economics class, it is obvious that some students appreciate the opportunity to present their projects.

For more information about the Art Show or the high school art and home ec classes, parents and students can contact The Big Fresno Fair Exhibits Office at 650-3213 or Sharon Scharf at 297-9464, ext. 159.