Seniors arrange traditional, memorable photos

As the end of the semester approaches, seniors get ready to graduate from high school and enter the real world. In order to preserve their memories of high school, they often arrange to have senior pictures taken of them.

While many go to professional photographers for these portraits, others prefer simpler photos taken by friends or family members. Ashlyn White says she is looking forward to taking professional pictures, since the focus will be on her.

“Every year, the family takes professional pictures for Christmas or Easter,” White said. “Now I get to take professional pictures of myself. Just to see how they turn out is going to be fun. Also, it’s the one picture that seniors get a say in what they want the pictures to say or have in them.”

White says that she will be taking her pictures at places that represent her, such as her grandfather’s barn and the FCS Gym.

“I am taking those pictures in the gym to represent all the years I have played basketball and volleyball,” White said. “And just that I have spent a lot of my years of high school in that gym, it wouldn’t be right to not take pictures in there.”

Besides the gym, she is also taking pictures at her grandfather’s barn, since she spent much of her childhood there.

“The barn is just a place I would play in when I was little, because it was really cool for a kid with a big imagination to play around in,” White said. “It’s a party barn, so it has an old, antique-looking bar in it. And I love country things, so I asked if it was OK to take them [photos] there, and my grandpa said sure.”

While many seniors go to professional photographers to get their pictures taken, some students go to their friends or family members. ASB President Justin Wilson arranged for his grandfather to take his portraits.

“Senior pictures show what you did during high school and that you have accomplished something huge by graduating,” Wilson said. “I went to my grandpa [to get pictures] because he is huge in photography. We went to some places downtown and a really nice park with older buildings.”

Because she thinks taking good senior pictures is important, Hannah Palmer decided to work with a professional photographer whom her friend recommended.

“I think senior pictures are important; they show how far you’ve come. And you can also save memories from high-school years,” Palmer said. “I took mine at Woodward Park and downtown Fresno. I went to a photographer that my friend told me about. She took a lot longer than I expected, since it’s her side job, but the pictures turned out pretty well.”

Joseph snaps senior photos

Some students go to their classmates, such as Hannah Joseph, who is the photo editor for The Feather, to have their photos taken. Joseph says that she enjoys taking senior pictures for her friends, so she keeps the price low.

“Taking pictures for other seniors is such a great experience,” Joseph said. “I started taking them last year for my friends that were graduating, but it is so much different now that I am taking pictures for people who I am graduating with. Senior pictures are definitely important when it comes to wrapping up the school year, so I am honored that some of my classmates have asked me to be a part of that process.”

In addition, taking senior pictures for her classmates allows Joseph to get to know some of her peers on a deeper level, she said.

“It’s fun to see the different personalities of everyone I take pictures of,” Joseph said. “For example, while one person might be really energetic and outgoing, someone else might not be enthusiastic about the picture-taking process.”

Because she has experience in photographing both landscapes and people, Joseph has noticed what makes senior portraits unique.

“One of the main differences between taking senior pictures and taking pictures of, say, a tree is that people have different preferences and personalities that I need to work with,” Joseph said. “Someone’s personality is expressed in the pictures taken of them.”

Besides senior photos, Joseph has taken family portraits and wedding pictures. To schedule an appointment with her, send her an e-mail. Professional studios and photographers often hired by students include Milne Photography and Mariano Friginal.

For more information on photography, read the March 8 article, Mullins Studio showcases photo techniques.