CTI shares music, testimonies with students

With a passion for sharing their faith through music, a traveling band from CTI (Carpenter Tools International) Music Ministries led worship at FC’s chapel, Feb. 24.

CTI music teams perform in venues such as churches, colleges, rescue missions, schools and prisons, and also go on mission trips to foreign countries.

Campus pastor Rob Foshee invited the Minnesota-based band to lead Thursday chapel in the FCS Gym. The band also presented a drama and shared personal testimonies.

“Their purpose goes along with what we as a school want to do as a ministry,” Foshee said. “They all have a heart for serving God and for ministry. It is awesome that they got to come back and praise Jesus with us.”

CTI vocalist Ali Hillabush says the group’s mission is to encourage the church and share the gospel. Although the band members hail from various places around the United States, their common passion is to spread their faith.

“Our mission at CTI is to use our musical gifts to serve the Lord,” Hillabush said. “We want to give the glory back to God because he is the one who has given us our talents. Part of our mission is to encourage the church and challenge them to be stronger, but another part is stepping into places other than the church and sharing the gospel.”

Hillabush has been involved with CTI for a few months now. Although singing is still a challenge for her, she remains encouraged to overcome any difficulties.

“It was a really big struggle for me to step out of my comfort zone and trust that the Lord was going to use music through me,” Hillabush said. “I can honestly say it is still really hard, but I keep believing that God is big enough despite my insecurities.”

CTI drummer Ryan Eaves says that team members grow close to each other through experiences such as traveling to a foreign country.

“We are constantly talking to people about the possiblity to join CTI,” Eaves said. “You get to go overseas and open yourselves up to what God has for you. When you are overseas in a different culture, you can’t speak the language and you can’t read the signs. All you have is each other and you grow so close to each other.”

According to Eaves, the group’s music comes second to its missionary emphasis.

“You realize that the music aspect of it is such a minor part,” Eaves said. “We are definitely messengers first and musicians second. God continually reminds us of that day in and day out. The music is such a small part, but God works through that. He gives us opportunities to grow closer to him, closer to each other and to go out and share the love of Christ with other people.”

During their travels, CTI recruits young musicians (aged 16 to 30) to become part of their ministry. The group hopes to train team members in their spiritual growth, with an emphasis on the areas of servanthood, character growth and leadership development. Those interested in joining CTI can find out more on the organization’s website.

For more information on CTI, read the Feb. 4, 2010 article, Traveling ministry visits chapel.