Year-round play drives Empereur's development

Through overcoming his obstacles and fears, senior Stowe Empereur discovered his love for baseball. Ever since his transformative eighth grade season, he has pursued the sport with passion. Four years later, Empereur speaks about the struggles and triumphs of his ongoing adventure.

This is the second part of Empereur’s baseball journey. Read Part I: Mentor transforms Empereur into baseball knockout.

In addition to playing for his school team, Empereur joined a year-round travel ball group called Fresno Aces. Playing with the Aces allowed him to improve his skills on a continual basis. Empereur speaks about his dedication toward baseball.

“Baseball definitely means a lot,” Empereur said. “That’s what I really enjoy doing, and I have been doing it for awhile now, nonstop. I want to try and play in college and see where I can go after that, even.”

In due time the pitcher started to get recognized for his play. In recent years, Empereur has been named First-Team All-League and West Sequoia League Pitcher of the Year. During his current season, he made baseball highlights in the Fresno Bee. Empereur shares what his accomplishments mean to him.

“It [recognition] proves how much I worked because I wasn’t very good freshman year,” Empereur said. “I worked hard, and I am always trying to improve. It definitely wasn’t easy. It was a lot of work, but it was fun and it definitely paid off.”

Empereur has been working with National College Baseball Hall of Fame coach Bob Bennett, who played a major role in developing him into the pitcher he is today, Empereur said.

“I couldn’t have done it without coach Bennet,” Empereur said. “He helped me so much with my mechanics. He also helped my mentality, how to approach things.”

Empereur’s work ethic, sacrifices

Varsity baseball coach Casey Padgett observes Empereur’s work ethic during practice.

“Stowe’s love for the game shows the most in practice, where the work is really done,” Padgett said. “In all aspects, whether it’s pitching, hitting or conditioning, Stowe has given 110 percent.”

Because he plays ball year-round, Empereur has not been able to participate in other high school sports. Although he has some regret about this, he feels he made the right choice for him.

“I felt like sticking with baseball was ultimately a good decision,” Empereur said. “I’ve gotten a lot better ever since I was a freshman. At the same time, I almost regret not playing some of the other sports. Basketball was a sport I’ve always liked, but I’ve never played it because it was right before baseball season. I almost regret not playing it in high school now; it looks fun out there.”

Impact of overseas experience

In 2008, Empereur went on a missions trip to give away baseball equipment to hundreds of needy kids in the Dominican Republic. He says that even though these kids played in poor conditions, they loved baseball and played it with passion.

“I saw probably some of the best baseball players I have ever seen,” Empereur said. “The fields they play on are dirt patches with bags of dirt for bases. It was crazy to me that they have so little but all they do is play baseball. It made me be grateful for what I have here because I could just as easily be in another country living the way those kids lived.”

Activity this season

The Eagles are 7-14 overall, as of April 29. Compared to last year’s 21-6 season, Empereur does not deny that this year has been tough.

“We’re struggling a bit,” Empereur said. “It was a really good season last year, but this year we are not doing so hot. We’re still just trying to find our groove and work as a team. We need to have everyone doing good at the same time instead of just two guys doing good and everyone else in a slump. We’re all good players; we just need to work as a team.”

Coach Padgett praises Empereur for his hunger to improve his game. He says his senior leadership and work ethic stand out.

“I personally can only speak for this year, but Stowe has been a model teammate,” Padgett said. “He has had success thus far because of the work he has put in on his own.”

Aiming for the ‘next level’

Empereur hopes to play ball at College of the Sequoias. Having played college baseball himself, Padgett sees Empereur’s potential to compete at the next level.

“I am pushing him into making the right decision for college,” Padgett said. “If he finds the right fit, he can be really successful at the next level. He just has to stay focused on his goals and not get sidetracked on his course.”

Empereur’s former coach and mentor, Rich Sorenson, views his transformation as extraordinary. He fully believes that if Empereur stays dedicated and diligent, then he can play at the college level.

“Stowe didn’t look like a baseball player and certainly didn’t carry himself as one in eighth grade,” Sorenson said. “But the transformation has been absolutely incredible: No more long hair, and he has worked so hard to become the pitcher he is today. He is one of the best left-handed pitchers in the Valley. His potential is limitless. And I believe that Stowe can reach the next level at the collegiate ranks if he continues his hard work and dedication to the game of baseball.”

For the previous installment, read the April 12 article, Mentor transforms Empereur into baseball knockout. For more information, read the Baseball sport shorts, 2011.