• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Homecoming begins with pagentry

Dancing, pickup lines, fish fights, and icky foods are all a part of the annual king and queen competitions. Games testing the strength, courage and craziness of the candidates are held in order to get the fans energized and help them decide on the nominee deserving the crown.

This year will hold the same amount of anticipation and pizzazz, but with a twist. Instead of the traditional five nominees for king, 15 senior boys have been selected to “fight to the death” and find out who the 2002 homecoming king will be.

“Leadership is all about change,” Christopher Schultz, said.”Picking 15 candidates for homecoming king allows more students to become involved in the events of the week. The king pageant is something everyone can become involved and get excited about.”

Each day student leadership will be hosting a different television game show that the fifteen boys will be competing in. After each game show, the student body will vote on their top choice candidates for that day. On Oct. 18 the king will be selected from the five senior boys remaining.

Although the modern reality shows aired on television can be quite entertaining for viewers, their activities are quite terrifying for those participating.

“I am really scared about the Fear Factor game, and if I get selected to eat something gross, I think I’ll just quit all together,” Colby Hunter ’03, said. “But competing against the other guys in my class will be a great experience and a lot of fun.”

The queen competition is also a little different this year. It will be held on Oct. 17, during Ethnic Diversity Day. All the games will somehow correspond to this theme and test the skills of the five contestants.

“I am really looking forward to the queen competition because I know everyone in student leadership has devoted a lot of time to its preparation,” Sara Wiens ’04, said. “Some of these girls are not as competitive as in the years previous so it will be interesting to see who will be nominated in the end.”

Last year the student body was able to witness the strengths and weaknesses of the girls in many areas and vote on their favorite candidate. Nikki Hill had the chance to show off her strength, as she had to pull her partner in a golf course across the football field.

” I always enjoy watching the queen competition because the games are really crazy and entertaining,” Carli Albretson, ’03 said. ” It will be really exciting to be involved in the competition this year, but I am a little apprehensive about the kinds of games that are planned.”

The days of Homecoming are just around the corner, as the excitement will begin to unfold on who will become the Fresno Christian royalty of 2002. ” Let the games begin!”