Kids Day assembles FC volunteers

Volunteers will line the streets to sell newspapers for the 24th annual Kids Day, March 8, a fundraising event which benefits Children’s Hospital Central California.

The Kids Day paper is a special edition of The Fresno Bee, a main sponsor, that is sold for a suggested price of $1, although donors often give larger amounts. The event began in 1988 and has since raised $4 million for the hospital. This is the 10th year student leadership class has organized FC students to participate.

Three groups from FC will participate in Kids Day: band, student leadership and The Feather staff. The band and leadership students will start selling at 5 a.m. at the intersections of Cedar and Alluvial and Maple and Alluvial. The staff will join them at 5:45.

In addition, the drumline will perform and the Eagle mascot will alternate between locations. Athletes in any of the groups are asked to wear their jerseys while selling papers.

Leadership adviser Rob Foshee says Kids Day provides an opportunity for students to get involved in the community.

“I think it is important for students to be connected to and help their community,” Foshee said. “A lot of people have been helped or know someone who has been helped by Children’s Hospital.”

Despite the early hour and low temperatures, many volunteers take advantage of the opportunity. Among the FC participants, junior Austin Rurik looks forward to another year’s experience.

“I love Kids Day,” Rurik said. “Last year was a lot of fun: I got to hang out with some cool people on the streets and got to see some people I have known from the past. It was just an all-around good time.”

Although some students look forward to volunteering in the event, others decline to participate due to the early hour.

“Even though Kids Day helps Children’s Hospital, I am glad that I do not have to go,” Jacob Williams, ’12, said. “The time I would have to wake up is way too early, especially because I hardly get enough sleep as it is.”

According to Foshee, Kids Day is usually an enjoyable event for those involved.

“Everyone really enjoys Kids Day,” Foshee said. “It is a chance to help outside of the classroom setting. Cars that pull up are always friendly and willing to help. The students feel a part of something larger, because it helps so many different people around the Valley.”

After selling papers, The Feather will publish a full-length report on the event as well as a video, a slideshow and several photos.

For past coverage of Kids Day, check out the March 9, 2010 article, Kids Day festivities benefit sick children.