Eighth grade embarks on spiritual journey, Sept. 15-19

CalvinCrest
[/media-credit] Eighth grade students will make the trip to Calvin Crest Conference Centers, Sept. 15-19.

Eighth grade students will make the trip to Calvin Crest Conference Centers, Sept. 15-19. The trip is viewed as a scientific endeavor, the students will learn more about the earth science topics they have been studying while basking in a Christ like atmosphere.

Terry Richards, long time junior high science and bible teacher has led the junior high to Calvin Crest for many years. According to Richards the trip was started by former bible teacher George Freeman and passed to Richards after Freeman’s departure.

“The main goal of the trip is to unify the eight grade class,” Richards said. “The ways in which we try to do that vary. We try to intermix students with different backgrounds to facilitate unity.”

Richards will be accompanied by junior high bible and history teacher Hallie Rojeski. Rojeski has attended the Calvin Crest trip for 21 years, and has watched countless junior high students grow together while at the trip.

“From one sense the trip is a great time of bonding between students,” Rojeski said. “Students will also have to learn how to get along with others in small areas for an extended period of time, which I believe is a very valuable lesson to learn.”

My first year being a counselor in 2012 was a little bit overwhelming. But the second time around I knew some techniques to keep the kids under control and how to make some of the activities go smooth. –Castro, ’15

Along with the life lessons that will be learned on the trip Rojeski also appreciates the informational classes that the students will participate in at the camp.

“The kids will learn about the Miwok Indians, how to use a compass, survival techniques and orienteering strategies,” Rojeski said.

Every trip features new counselors comprised of upperclassmen. This year the group will be made up by Jordan Castro, ’15, Bailey Brogan, ’16, Aaron Dewolf, ’15, Alexis Kalugin, ’16, Ivette Ibarra, ’15, and Maddie Luginbill, ’16.

Counselors will manage 37 energetic junior high students for five days. Castro has been a counselor two times and is looking forward to his third year.

“My first year being a counselor in 2012 was a little bit overwhelming,” Castro said. “But the second time around I knew some techniques to keep the kids under control and how to make some of the activities go smooth.”

Opinions of Junior High students about the trip vary from student to student. Some are full of anticipation and excitement and others dread the thought of being away from the civilized world for five whole days.

Eighth grader Samuel Cross has been looking forward to the trip since the beginning of the school year.

“I’m excited for all of the activities that we are going to be doing at camp,” Cross said. “I have been looking forward to going since the first day of school.”

Every year a select few students dread the trip until they actually experience the fun filled activities. Ronnie Peterson, ’19, is not excited for the trip and does not believe his opinion will change.

“I’m not excited to go to Calvin Crest,” Peterson said. “I don’t really like being in nature unless I am alone. And I doubt that I will change my mind over the course of the trip.”

Calvin Crest has been a staple of the eighth grade experience at FC for over two decades and will continue to influence the lives of students.

Follow the Feather via Twitter @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter @2015Beal.

For more news, read Sept. 9 article BREAKING: FC community loses alumna, teacher, coach.