• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Acadec studies art at the Met

Brilliant colors dance across the canvas combining to create unparalleled masterpieces. Members of the Academic Decathlon (Acadec) team stood in awe as they viewed timeless works by masters such as VanGogh, Degas, Monet and Pissarro at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. For many, the trip to the museum was the highlight of the Acadec trip to the Big Apple on Oct. 9-14.

“The part of the trip I was looking forward to was visiting the Met,” Jamie Meadows, ’03, said. “I was really excited to see artworks by Van Gogh because he is my favorite artist. It makes a difference to be able to see something up close and personal.”

The main purpose of the visit to the museum was to observe the art pieces the Acadec team is studying for this year’s competition. Being able to actually see the pieces contributes to the students’ understanding of the individual artworks.

“Actually seeing the art pieces was an educational experience,” Molly Sargent, Acadec coach, said. “It allowed the students to see the details and texture of the works enabling them to understand better. Studying art in person also gives students an attitude of willingness to learn about art.”

Besides visiting the Met, the students experienced the fast-paced atmosphere of NYC.

“The culture in NYC was interesting and fun,” John Stevenson, ’04 said. “It was a good experience because it allowed me to see different people and places. My favorite part of the trip was going to the top of the Empire State Building. It allowed me to see the whole city at once and it was beautiful from afar.”

While in NYC, the students encountered the culture of the city first-hand by attending a Broadway play.

“I really enjoyed going to Broadway,” Meadows said. “We saw the play Thoroughly Modern Millie. It was a superb combination of comedy, mystery, music and the thrill that comes along with the theatre. It was an unforgettable experience.”

The trip not only provided students with new experiences, but also helped the team come together as a group.

“The trip helped us to get to know one another better,” Stevenson said. “It allowed us to interact on a more personal level. Now we will be able to work together as a team better.”

Acadec will next travel to Bakersfield for a “Music of the Romantic Age” concert on Nov. 6. The concert is presented by the Kern County Academic Decathlon Association, the Kern County Superintendent of Schools and the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra.