Stockton promotes strategic approach for athletics

When Fresno Christian needed a new head football coach and athletic director, Dan Stockton stepped on to the scene to take the job. He played for California State University, Fresno, as a quarter back and free safety and was a part of the only Fresno State team to go undefeated-untied and win the 1961 Mercy Bowl in the 100 year history of the university.

Stockton’s coaching career includes positions at San Joaquin Memorial, Reedley College, Fresno City College, Chico State University, Caruthers High School and Memorial Baptist in Texas. He says he feels much can be done at FC, but that “nothing is nothing until anything is accomplished.”

?I have a great feeling about Fresno Christian; it?s just that good vibe,” Stockton said. “But nothing is nothing until the action speaks. We need every young man that wants to help build a championship team to join us. They need to compete and be serious about being one of those blocks of granite that builds the foundation for now, this year and all the future generations to follow.?

Although Stockton supports students who play sports, he also believes academics is the key to the future and a part of the total package in a students’ education.

?Well-rounded student-athletes have always been high achievers in my 29 years of teaching and coaching at all levels of education,” Stockton said. “So my method is that I believe that academics are number one and gives you a career, but what sports do is that they build character and shows you who you are.”

As the new athletic director and coach, his goal is to permeate the entire athletic program.

“Every student-athlete at the elementary, junior high and high school level should have the same opportunity to have excellent coaching and effective techniques regarding their respective sport,” Stockton said. “I plan to have varsity coaches doing mini-clinics for elementary and junior high levels to ensure safety, expertise and fundamentals of that sport.?

Jonathan Nyberg, 14, says that Stockton’s coaching technique is different than any other coach he has had, but ultimately feels that it is valuable.

“His style’s a lot different than other coaches whereas they focus on conditioning and training your body, Stockton focuses on the mental aspects of football [sic],” Nyberg said. “It’s different, but I like it because it prepares you more for what you’re supposed to do on the field.”

One of the new additions Stockton plans to initiate is the Mom’s Club, Dad’s Club and the Hall of Fame. The Mom’s Club will host the Fall Banquet for sports and the Dad’s Club the Spring Banquet. Both will help organize games, serve food and bring income into the program, according to Stockton

?I used all three of these at San Joaquin Memorial and they were a big success,” Stockton said. “The Dad’s and Mom’s Club will help out with the banquets and games, but also help parents get involved. The Hall of Fame is a great tribute to students, athletes, coaches, teachers and boosters because anyone can go into it.”

Assistant Athletic Director Mick Fuller, who previously taught at FC, left in 2009 to become the athletic director and head football coach at Stone Ridge Christian. However, after being offered the position of assistant athletic director and football coach at FC, he returned. Fuller says working alongside Stockton is not only a pleasure, but has already been immensely beneficial for him.

“Coach Stockton brings a wealth of experience to the school and he understands what’s required as an athletic director,” Fuller said. “One thing that I really appreciate about him is that he’s very complimentary of people, but he also knows people and has connections with people. This shows me how to make connections, network and get those people involved in improving the quality of the school, athletic program and educational program.”

Four-year football player, Mitch Weibert, ’12, looks forward to what Stockton has to bring to the team and to the rest of the athletic department, he says.

“I think that coach Stockton’s experience has definitely proven helpful because he’s so knowledgeable about the game of football that it’s easy for him to teach it to us,” Weibert said. “I feel he will be a good athletic director due to his involvement in sports over the years. That involvement will definitely help him know what an athlete wants because he’s been one.”

Stockton says that despite the past history of football — last season they finished 1-9 — he hopes to help his team play competitively and to the best of their abilities.

“I think we have a good coaching staff and a great bunch of kids,” Stockton said. “I think that our hopes are that we present ourselves in the best possible manner we can in all things and that we play the best we can play every minute we’re on the field.”

For more information on athletics, check out the Fall sports box scores, 2011. For more information on FCS sports, visit the Fresno Christian Athletics web page.