Powder Puff games to be held March 28

After a postponement of the traditional Thanksgiving activity, campus girls will compete in the annual Powder Puff games on March 28, student leadership announced. Please note the date change.

For this switched-role event, girls field the positions of football players, while boys act as sideline cheerleaders.

Leadership adviser Rob Foshee says the benefits of having the tournament in the spring, as opposed to in the fall, include warmer weather and more availability for female athletes.

“In the fall, with all the different sports, the coaches wanted Powder Puff to wait,” Foshee said. “[But] it’s a little warmer in the spring, and we might get some rain.”

This year, Powder Puff will be held after school, with lights set up on the North Field to help players and spectators see. Beginning at 6 p.m. and ending at 8:30 p.m., each of the four classes, clad in neon-colored shirts, will play two games.

Senior Ashlyn White, one of the leadership students heading up the Powder Puff committee, will be playing in the tournament when the time comes.

“I think that, at night, it’s going to be awesome,” White said. “I’m feeling pretty good about this year, even if it’ll only be my second time. I want to do really well.”

For her class’s first time participating in the annual event, player Chloe Duerr, ’14, hopes the freshmen will come out on top.

“I’m really excited! This is my first time playing, so it’ll be a new experience,” Duerr said. “I want to beat the seniors because lots of people have a bad impression of freshmen; it’d be fun to prove them wrong.”

Practices have already begun at lunch, and will continue through March 25.

For more information on Powder Puff, read the Jan. 24 article, Traditional Powder Puff games postponed, or e-mail Foshee.