BRIEF: Car theft alert

According to an e-mail released by Principal Todd Bennett earlier today, there recently has been a series of incidents across Fresno where cars have been broken into and items have been stolen.

The Fresno Police Department notified the school about these thefts, which have occurred at churches (including Peoples Church), schools and preschools. No suspect has yet been named.

Because of this occurrence, Bennett advises students to take certain precautions while on campus.

“Keep your car locked,” Bennett said. “The only other thing you could do is to report suspicious activities to teachers if you see any in the parking lot.”

According to Bennett, the risk of having cars broken into stems from the fact that students leave their vehicles unattended for hours while at school.

“I think it’s something we’re susceptible to,” Bennett said. “Unfortunately, there are dishonest people in the world, and when a car is left unattended for five hours it creates an opportunity to steal.”

Principal Bennett’s e-mail

The text of the e-mail is provided below.

“I am writing to inform and warn you about some car burglaries that have occurred at various churches, schools and preschools (including Peoples Church). The Fresno Police Department has made us aware of a string of car burglaries occurring around the city. The perpetrator breaks into cars and steals purses and other valuables. It has been a pattern that he hits a parking lot, and then returns days or weeks later.

“Please help us by reporting any suspicious characters in our parking lots, and do not leave your car unlocked, or unattended with the keys in it, even for a few minutes. It was reported that he recently broke into a car while an infant was left in the vehicle.”

For more information, e-mail Bennett.