Football sport shorts: Coast Union (PODCAST)

FOOTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2014
For a preview to the Eagles football season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2014, for dates, scores, and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagles’ schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 1-1 overall and 0-0 in the Central Sierra League as of Sept. 8. FC’s next game will be on Sept. 12, as the Eagles play Anzar High School.

FOOTBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2014
EAGLES HOME OPENER A STRONG DISPLAY OF POISE, Sept. 8

The Coast Union High School Broncos visited Eagle Field to take on FC, Sept. 8.

This non-league matchup would be the second game of the year for the Eagles, but would be the opener for the Broncos. Though FC went into the battle winless, they sought revenge for the loss they sustained last year at Coast Union High School.

(PODCAST) Eagles win home opener: Sept. 8, 2014–

The game would be an uphill battle for the Eagles, who dropped to a deficit of 14-8 at the end of the first quarter, due in large part to the explosive passing game of the Broncos, particularly quarterback Alexis Mireles, who completed multiple passes over 20 yards in the opening minutes, and ended with 219 yards through the air.

FC shot into the lead behind the legs of junior Chris Kollenkark, who finished the game with 138 yards on the ground, and three touchdowns to boot. He averaged over 10 yards per carry on the night.

The night wrapped up under the glimmering lights of a scoreboard. The Eagles won their home opener: 40-26.

Sophomore Matthew Tanaka, who plays center on offense and nose guard on defense savors the excitement and mystique of the Friday night lights, and feels that the game was a good venture for the Eagles.

“So being a linemen is fun, but it also kinda stinks,” Tanaka said. “Being able to help and be part of the foundation of the team is awesome. When the runner or receiver score, it makes us all feel like we are doing our job.”

Some other bright spots for FC included senior Taylor Howard’s performance, as he gathered 178 all-purpose yards on his way to both a rushing and a receiving touchdown. The other touchdown came from a 22-yard run by Julian Castro, ’17.

The Cambrian newspaper of San Luis Obispo published a sports article, Sept. 11, about the Coast Union game.

The Eagles improved to 1-1 on the season, and will next play Anzar High School on Eagle Field, Sept. 12 at 7 p.m.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @justtoochrisp.

For more sports, read the Sept. 8 article Volleyball sport shorts: Paramount.