CSPA Convention, Day 3 (94 PHOTOS)

Delegates of The Feather slept in and enjoyed a more relaxing morning before arriving at Columbia University for the third and final day of the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s 87th annual Spring National Convention, held over March 16-18 in New York, NY.

After the convention’s morning sessions, adviser Greg Stobbe, attended an adviser luncheon and session while editor-in-chief Austin Ward, ’11, Webmaster David Casuga, ’12, reviews editor Mary Hierholzer, ’12, and multimedia anchor Brooke Stobbe, ’12, took their seats in the Roone Arledge Auditorium of Lerner Hall for the CSPA’s awards convocation, March 18.

Over the course of the event, Edmund J. Sullivan, executive director for CSPA, announced the 54 Gold Crown and 103 Silver Crown winners for magazines, newspapers, yearbooks and online publications.

Once “The Feather Online” flashed on the screen, the four student delegates headed to the front of the auditorium to accept the Gold Crown, the newspaper’s third Crown and second Gold Crown in a row. (For a full-length report, read the March 21 article, The Feather takes home 2nd Gold Crown.)

After some celebratory photographs, the group spent about an hour exploring the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which features “more than two million works of art spanning five thousand years of world culture, from prehistory to the present and from every part of the globe,” according to the museum’s website. In particular, the delegates viewed French Impressionist works such as the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh, Auguste Renoir and Edgar Degas.

For their last dinner together, members of The Feather ate at B. Smith’s in Restaurant Row. The group ordered such dishes as rib-eye steak, butternut squash ravioli and bread pudding.

After their celebratory meal, the delegates attended Million Dollar Quartet at the Nederlander Theatre. The musical tells the story of a night when Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins met and played music together. For more information, read Brooke’s March 24 review, Rock ‘n’ roll energy redeems Broadway musical.

To wrap up their experience at the convention, the group met in Times Square to film an episode of “FC Underground.” Brooke, the host, discussed weekly news at Fresno Christian and presented The Feather’s second Gold Crown. This episode will be available in the