Words: A reflection of mind, character

Words can be used to uplift, discourage, state and explain. From the simple remarks of a child to the extensive vocabulary and wisdom of an elder, words express meaning, thought and feeling.

One thing I have noticed in the past few years is the great amount of words people use, and how easy it is for teenagers, and adults, to say something to or about someone.

While some comments may be pleasant, others may be disheartening. Many times, I don’t think people truly consider the things they say to people. In fact, I believe the things people choose to say often reflect their character.

Whether at home, in the classroom or on the field, people are the same wherever they go, and, therefore, the words they use will also be consistent.

One may think, “Where do the words I use come from?” I believe that a person’s words are taken from thoughts, and, in turn, thoughts are affected by the person’s preferences for television, movies, music, books and friends. While some may not agree that these things play a role in a person’s speech, I think they are the central source of words and ideas.

Romans 12:2 (NIV) says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

As a Christian, I am called to demonstrate Christ. The way this starts is by filling my mind with the Word of God. Doing this allows God’s word and encouragement into my heart, soul and mind. When I occupy my mind with the things above, instead of with earthly matters, my heart will be set on the right things.

Now, I am definitely not saying that I am perfect and that I always have my mind set on the things of God, but I do want to say that, as Christians, we need to meditate on godly things, which will make us want to strive even more toward Christ.

The power of words

Another point I would like to make is that the words people use can be very powerful. It is so easy for someone to throw a remark at another person and not even realize what effect it might have.

Words affect the emotional, spiritual and mental state of a person. When something is heard, it is stored in the mind, making it always available for thoughts or use. Many times, people can be on the receiving end of harsh words, which can instill a sense of inferiority or doubt in them.

This continual barrage of malicious words can make people feel insecure and can play out in how they talk, treat others or view themselves. Everyone faces words of discouragement at one time or another, but personally, I know that words can really affect the attitude of my heart.

Although I usually do not rest on the negative comments someone voices to me, there are times when what someone says can really tear me down. Most of the time, my first reaction is something along the lines of, Why did they have to say that? Was it really necessary? What can I say to get back at them?

These thoughts begin to stir a defensive attitude in me. I feel the desire to let the other person know how I feel toward them. I begin saying things before thinking about them, and end up realizing that something I said was pointless and wrong of me.

The challenge and struggle

Words have become a daily challenge and struggle for me. I find it easier to speak expressions of encouragement when I am in God’s Word. Verses I read and meditate on give me something to remember and focus on living out.

I know that when I am not reading my Bible, it is more likely for me to say something negative or mean to someone. Also, I begin focusing on others’ negative words and start to ignore my own attitude and speech.

My new challenge is to always be aware of what I say — to think before I speak. I want my goal to be saying things that will encourage others and reflect Christ. I know this will be a considerable task, but through this, I hope to develop a better attitude and to become more careful about the words I choose.

For more columns, read the March 8 article, Wisconsin ‘anti-union’ bill justified.