Words: On the receiving end

Upon hearing student leadership’s announcement of the location and theme of this year’s Sadie Hawkins event, the student body responded with mixed emotions.

As a representative of student leadership, I have received a great number of negative comments. Hearing these remarks has left me feeling discouraged and angry.

I think most of the students feel that leadership did not consider their desires or what they would label as “fun.” While people may think this, I know the struggle and process it took to make the final decision.

We, the leadership members, spent several weeks brainstorming and discussing what we wanted to do. It was not a quick choice we made, and we did not choose it just for leadership to have fun. After successfully completing Night of the Starts and feeling unified as a class, we were torn in deciding among our options.

However, we eventually decided that this year’s Sadies theme will be “Destination Sadies: Fanny Pack o’ Fun.” The event will start at school, where we will be taking pictures. Following pictures, we will be transported to River Park, and students will be able to eat wherever they choose.

Starting around 7:20, FC will have a theater room in Edwards Theater reserved, where we will play some Minute to Win It games before seeing the movie Soul Surfer. To finish off the night, we will head to Cal Skate, where we will get to skate and hang out from 10-12.

Since we announced the plan, people seem to have felt that it is OK to just put down the idea and share all their criticism, and I really do not think that is appropriate. If you think Sadies is not going to be fun and is a dumb idea, then don’t go.

I think it is really disappointing to hear all the cynical comments from students, because Sadies should not be about the place you go. I think it should be about having fun with your date and friends, wherever the place may be, and to have fun as a whole school.

Everyone is caught on the thought that we are staying in Fresno and not going to Six Flags Magic Mountain, as we did last year. While this decision may seem uneventful and unattractive, I think that the environment will allow students to feel comfortable and enjoy a night on the town.

Another part of Sadies that a majority of the students have not accepted is the theme of tourists. The reason I think people are not immediately drawn to the idea is because they feel that it will be embarrassing.

Having fun at Sadies includes getting into the theme with your date and wanting to find entertainment in the things you wear and do. I believe that allowing yourself to be immersed in the theme depends on your attitude.

When you look at the event in a positive light, then you will be able to feel enthusiastic about the things you are going to do. But if you allow all of your negative thoughts to creep into your perspective, that will put a damper on your thinking.

I am tired of students thinking that they are “too cool” to dress up or participate in something they think will be a complete disaster. I understand that some people may not feel comfortable decking themselves out in khaki shorts, Hawaiian shirts or sandals and socks, but the fact is, it really is not that awful.

Dressing up and goofing around with your friends only becomes embarrassing or awkward when you lets others’ arrogant looks or remarks affect you.

Last week, a couple of the leadership students, including myself, dressed up as tourists and traveled to different classrooms in order to promote Sadies.

Following our arrival in the classes, we would receive laughter, weird looks or even dead silence from students. As the ones putting ourselves out there and being vulnerable to peers and classmates, it took our being deciding not to allow students’ thoughts about us to affect our excitement.

Before even dressing up, I thought about the reactions we would be presented with. Instead of resting on those thoughts, I chose not to let them diminish my hope for boosting others’ impressions.

This is my proposal: Throw off all the opinions you have heard about Sadies; bring it back to a fresh slate. My hope is that students will look at themselves, as individuals, and see what has affected their opinion of Sadies.

Even for those who choose not to attend Sadies, I want students to know that expressing their rude and rather harsh comments is not necessary. Whether you attend Sadies or not, please keep in mind that the things you say about the event will affect others, and will either discourage or encourage students to participate.

I want every person that goes to 2011 Sadies to have a great experience by being surrounded by people who are excited and ready to enjoy themselves to the fullest.

For more columns, read the March 28 article, Words: A reflection of mind, character.