Softball aspires to Valley Championships

Eyes gaze upon the lone batter as she slowly walks to the plate. Fear boils within her as she grips the bat and swings at the ball as hard as possible, aiming for the fence, which seems miles away.

The varsity softball team wrapped up last year?s season with a 10-5 league record and finished 13-12 overall.

?This season should be better than last,? Lindsay Brush, ?06, said. ?If we come together as a team we will be able to go far.?

Robert Foshee is resuming his spot as head coach for the varsity softball team. He took a year off last year, for the birth of his second child.

?I am very excited to come back this year, and I think we will do very well,? Foshee said. ?The first couple of practices gave me confidence in what the girls are capable of.?

Foshee?s expectations remain high, despite the absence of experienced players in the team?s first tournament. The Eagles completed the Modesto tournament with a win against Pinedale and two losses. They also won their first practice game against Laton 14-3 in five innings.

?The team played well,? Foshee said. ?The tournament was a learning experience. The girls got used to each other on and off the field, and began to play together as a team.?

Several returning players from last year are looking ahead for a better season.

?I am looking forward to this season, since it?s my senior year,? Hillary Kell, ?05, said. ?Unlike last year, we actually have a pitcher; so I don?t have to pitch anymore.?

The softball team practices Monday-Friday from 2:15- 5:00 P.M. Practice requires hard work but is fundamental for a successful team.

?We recently had our first practice with everyone there,? Brittany Lauber, ?08, said. ?We are going to play like we practice, and simply having everyone there helped a lot.?

Besides competing successfully in league and heading to the playoffs, Foshee has other plans he hopes his team will attain.

?I am hoping for many things this season,? Foshee said. ?We will work hard and have fun, while representing our school and, most importantly, Christ.?

League play begins on Mar. 29. The game against Mendota will be at home beginning at 4 P.M. For more information regarding girls? varsity softball, contact Foshee at 299-1695, ext. 143.