Scharf includes students in national, local art shows

The Congressional Art Competition is an event that allows individuals in the Fresno, Madera, Mariposa, Toulumne and Stanislaus counties to enter their works of art in hopes of nationwide recognition. This competition, which students from Sharon Scharf’s art class participate in, will give out awards on May 6.

“I have enrolled in this show for many years and I have always enjoyed the experience because it is exciting and it brings light to our school,” Scharf said. “Last year, Ashley Erickson [’12] won and some of her artwork is hanging in [Washington] D.C.”

Erickson’s winning artwork featured three colored pencil drawings of an artichoke, broccoli and asparagus. For an avid artist, the experience was rewarding, she says.

“It is really neat to work on a project and be passionate about it,” Erickson said. “It was a really cool feeling when I won an award.”

Like Erickson, senior Ashlyn White has participated in art competitions and won awards.

“I started out not knowing much about art, and Mrs. Scharf has taught me so much and I have learned many cool tricks,” White said. “I really like participating in the shows because it makes me proud to see my work appreciated.”

In addition to the Congressional Art Competition, Scharf enters her students in local competitions like the Fresno Fair.

“The students do very well [in class] so I want to show everyone their progress and improvement,” Scharf said “The fair is a fun experience for the students and you get to meet many interesting people and it is another good way to promote Fresno Christian.”

Although only on a local level, these shows give students the opportunity to demonstrate their hard work and abilities.

“I really enjoy doing these shows because the students deserve the chance to expose their work,” Scharf said. “I usually choose the best pieces that the students have done throughout the year, and I will show them at the festivals.”

Scharf encourages her students to work diligently throughout the year to enter a show, and keeps track of the remarkable artwork in her classes.

“Throughout the year I challenge the students with various assignments because I want them to improve and grow in their knowledge of art,” Scharf said. “If the students produce quality work throughout the year it makes my decision easier to choose what will be included in the art shows.”

Junior GeeHyun Park is looking forward to being featured in local art shows because she is proud of her improvement.

“Mrs. Scharf has taught me a lot this year and I can definitely say that I have improved,” Park said. “I am excited that my work is going to be entered into a show.”

Through the various opportunities in art competitions, Scharf hopes that her students gain experience and expertise, rather than only focusing on winning.

“Sometimes the students get distracted because all they want to do is win, [which] is not the point,” Scharf said. “It is to learn your mistakes and improve your skills, but most of all to promote the school.”

For more articles on student projects, read the April 28 article, Anaheim: Scenes from the city, Part I.