Drama to perform monologues at FCC festival

Instead of restricting theatrical training to the classroom, drama instructor Brianne Vogt will take four students to Fresno City College (FCC) to present monologues for the 32nd annual High School Drama Festival, April 6.

Senior Bree Ainley, senior Bridget Teixeira, senior Rachel Wilhelm and junior Jacob Williams will participate in the competition. According to Vogt, the festival will provide the chance to perform in a more formal dramatic environment.

“This gives the students the opportunity to practice presenting a memorized speech in front of a large crowd,” Vogt said. “The students who are presenting chose to participate in this event.”

Vogt shared the opportunity with the drama students and believes that the participants in her class are capable of performing the monologue well despite pressure and competition.

“There will be judges at FCC and many different schools will perform, so there is some pressure for the students,” Vogt said. “But they all will do well.”

As one of the students participating in the festival, Ainley welcomes the challenge to present a monologue. She looks forward to demonstrating her abilities before an audience, she says.

“I chose to participate in the competition because I thought it would be fun and it is challenging,” Ainley said. “I enjoy speaking in front of people and I love acting, so this is a perfect way to do both.”

Williams views the competition as useful preparation for future class productions, he says.

“I think this is a good way to practice performing before the play we put on,” Williams said. “I love drama, so I decided to participate in the competition.”

Drama prepares upcoming production

The drama class will next perform the play Twelve Angry Jurors, May 13 and 14. Vogt selected the play for its interesting roles and looks forward to the show, she says.

“The play is really fun for the kids to put on because of all the different personalities, and they get to argue,” Vogt said. “I chose this play because of the fun dialogue and charismatic theme; there are many different angles from the play.”

Having completed A Christmas Carol, Vogt has observed talent in her class and enjoys working with the group, she says.

“I have a great group of actors and actresses this year,” Vogt said. “I am very proud of what we have accomplished this year and am excited to see how the play turns out.”

For more news, read the April 5 article, Big Hat Day draws public, boasts unique attractions.