Substitute teacher finds niche in Christian environment

It is nearly impossible for students and teachers to attend school every day in the school year, due to sickness and other occasions. In light of this, FC has employed several substitute teachers who take the standard teachers’ places whenever they are absent. One of these substitues at FC is Daniel Dodge.

Since the work of a substitue teacher is not a full time job, Dodge is able to fit the position into his life. He appreciates the chance to interact with students, he says

“Substitute teaching provides me with the opportunity to earn a couple of bucks while hanging out with great people, all in a positive Christian environment that is flexible with my school schedule,” Dodge said.

After attending a public high school, Dodge appreciates teaching at FC because of the genial atmosphere, he says.

“FCS is a joy to work with because when it all boils down, I can tell that the students love and protect each other,” Dodge said. “I spent my whole life in public school and I don’t know of a time when a senior knew the name of a freshman, [or] when a football player would hug a nerd.”

Having spent time substituting for a number of classes, Dodge has determined that he enjoys the AP classes the most.

“I would say my favorite classes are any of the AP classes,” Dodge said. “They are usually smaller in size which allows me to more fully appreciate the group dynamics. It has been a treat to hang out with Mr. [Michael] Fenton’s AP classes these last few weeks.”

Although Dodge has only substituted in a class once for freshman Sarah Lim, she enjoyed his personality and pursuit become acquainted with his students.

“When Mrs. [Tina] Nakashian was gone for a day, Mr. Dodge came to our math class,” Lim said. “He did this ‘get to know me’ thing where he told us some cool facts about himself. Like how he is somewhat related to the Dodge car company. Not many substitute teachers do that so I thought it was pretty cool.”

Sophomore Ian Rustigian admires Dodge’s balance of humor and respect, he says.

“Mr. Dodge is a funny guy,” Rustigian said. “Sometimes teachers can be really serious and strict but he is not like that. He knows how to entertain the class but teach and control the class at the same time.”

When he is not a substitute teacher, Dodge is busy with his own activities. He studies for his own classes at Craig School of Business at California State University, Fresno, where he will receive his MBA at the end of this year. His emphasis will be in either finance or HR management. He also leads study groups for his classmates and works part time jobs for places like the Island Waterpark.

When it comes to his hobbies, Dodge chases activities wholeheartedly, he says.

“I do not pursue any activity half way.” Dodge said. “Whether it is stamp collecting, karate, baseball cards, etcetera. Once I get into a hobby I go way over the top and try to be the expert and be perfect. The problem is that after a few years I am burned out, exhausted, and bored with the hobby.”

In her geometry class, sophomore Ashley Scott observed Dodge’s engaging personality and enjoyed his candy rewarding system, she says.

“I like having Mr. Dodge as a substitute teacher,” Scott said. “He is very funny and he gives us candy whenever we get answers right. I wish he would come to our school more often.”

For more teacher profiles, read the March 31 article, Get to Know: Sharon Scharf.