Fresno attains culinary excellence with The Hunan Restaurant

After serving traditional Chinese gourmet dishes to diplomats, dignitaries and the elite, Chef Zhongy Liu continues to demonstrate his culinary talent in Fresno at The Hunan Restaurant.

Located in North Fresno, Hunan has offered exquisite Chinese food and a semi-elegant atmosphere for seven years, and Liu will to continue the traditions by expanding the restaurant with co-owner Kathy Koa.

While growing up, Chef Lui’s passion started in the kitchen when helping his family cook dinner each night. He was always creating different combinations in the kitchen and, with his perseverance and academic excellence, Chef Lui was accepted into the Grand Hotel Beijing Hospitality School. Right before his eyes, Chef Lui’s dream unfolded as he received the letter of admission.

Internationally famous, the Grand Hotel Beijing is a five star hospitality center. The hotel neighbors both the Forbidden City and Tianamen Square and offers a diverse atmosphere of modern cultures which meet with traditional elegance. The Grand Hotel Beijing is ranked one of the best accommodations in the world.

During his 14-year stay at the Grand Hotel Beijing as a head chef from 1985-1992 and an executive chef from 1993-1999, Chef Lui personally served many dignitaries, presidents and heads of state such as Deng Xiaoping, Republic of China’s former president, Toshiki Kaifu, the former Prime Minister of Japan, Dr. Helmut Kohl, a former German Chancellor, and many more.

After graduating and completing his time at the culinary school, Chef Lui was challenged to start his own restaurant without any help from the school. With only his title to go off of, Chef Lui headed to San Francisco, CA. After a brief stint there saving money to open up his own restaurant, the chef picked up his luggage for the final time and relocated to Fresno, CA. There, Chef Lui bought an existing restaurant that was not maintained and turned the building into a place to eat fine Northern Chinese food and Sichuan cuisine.

With all this information to guide me, my family and I decided to sample The Hunan Restaurant’s taste. This is how it went:

As my father, brother and I waited in the lobby for seating, I noticed traditional Chinese d