Senior soccer leader sidelined

Black, white and green colors blur as the girls’ soccer team races down the field in a shocking display of aggression and power. The timid were not born to play soccer; only those willing to brave concussions and injury are worthy of this sometime brutal sport.

The campus girls’ team boasts an impressive record13-1 this year. With no seniors currently playing, the team has had to utilize and rely on younger players as injuries to key players have taken their toll.

Christina Cabias, ’07, has been playing soccer for four years and admits that she started only out of boredom. She is one of the Eagles young starters.

“There’s not much else to do in Madera, except play sports,” Cabias said. “All my friends played soccer, so I decided to try it too.”

Aside from pure enjoyment of the sport, Cabias is also driven by the sports’ physical aspect.

“I like it [soccer] because it gets my aggression out,” Cabias said. “I play three sports in all, but softball is my favorite.”

Despite the team’s youth and relative lack of experience, Cabias feels that the year is going well.

“We’re kind of like a family,” Cabias said. “We’ve gotten to be close friends, and we all want to win league.”

Senior team captain Melissa Jimenez, ’05, recently ruptured a ligament in her knee during a game against Fowler and will be out for the rest of the season.

After her injury, Jimenez was forced to relinquish her captain position, as she, the only senior on the team, left for the sidelines.

“When I first was hurt, I thought, ?Oh, I can just play the next game’,” Jimenez said. “I am really upset that I can’t finish out the year, especially since it’s my last.”

Jimenez began playing soccer in kindergarten.

“I was so bad when I started soccer,” Jimenez said. “I was so horrible that I cried and the coach had to carry me off the field.”

Jimenez looks back on her past four years of high school soccer with fondness.

“It’s been really fun playing on the team here,” Jimenez said. “I’ve been able to improve my skill a lot.”

Since the team has played well with a lot of younger players, Jimenez believes the Eagles will be fine without her.

“I think they’ll do pretty well,” Jimenez said. “They’re strong, and we have extra players who are willing to do anything.”

Check the announcements in this paper for upcoming girls’ soccer playoff games. For more information on girls’ soccer, visit www.thefeather.com.