9/11, ten years later: Join the discussion

Many people remember the tragic day, ten years ago, when two airplanes crashed through the World Trade Center after they were hijacked by terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001, a day which became infamously known as 9/11.

Along with the devastation of the World Trade Center, a hole was punctured in the Pentagon and a plane crashed outside of Pennsylvania. The Department of Defense had to pay about $500,000,000 worth of repairs, according to the Pentagon’s History report article.

In recognition of the tenth anniversary of 9/11, The Feather hopes to share the memories that the FC campus and Fresno community possess pertaining to the incident. The staff invites its readers to share their thoughts and recollections on the event that changed America’s policies on safety, transportation and foreign affairs, among other things.

Shocked and confused
Adam Wood, ’12
Sept. 7, 2011

I remember getting up and my dad was awake, standing and staring at the television. He got my mom and I thought I saw him crying. I went to school that day and even though I didn’t fully know what was going on, I knew that someone had attacked my country.

I was saddened and shocked. I used to take it out on the Middle East, but now that I’m older I know that it was just a group of people. Some people see them as different but I don’t. It is still sad, but I don’t hold it against anybody.

Remembering a devastating day
Taylor Neufeld, ’13
Sept. 7, 2011

I remember seeing it on the television, but when I went to the 9/11 Memorial at Pelco with my old school, I saw the film footage. Watching the towers fall was heartbreaking because we [the U.S.] have such an alliance with all the countries around us and those people turned their back on us. Ever since 9/11 we have been at war with Iraq. It’s devastating, but amazing because people gave their lives to save other people.

Foggy memory, powerful impact
Lucas Lopes, ’14
Sept. 7, 2011

I was really young when 9/11 happened, but I remember my mom being scared because my uncle lived in New York. My mom told me what happened but I didn’t understand. Looking back, I can see my mom’s feelings and understand how she felt. I do think we need to move on from the past and look toward the future, but it is still very tragic and I hope nothing like that happens again.

Pondering his parents
Matt Eli, ’15
Sept. 7, 2011

I saw a bunch of stuff on the television when 9/11 happened. There was fire and smoke, and I kept trying to ask my parents but they watched in silence. I just remember there being chaos and that my parents were upset and in tears.

Serious day
Bianca Hinojosa, ’12
Sept. 7, 2011

I heard about it in my living room when my brother told me that the towers were burning. I went to school that day, and remember it being cloudy and dark outside. I was in second grade and I don’t know if the teachers talked about it around the students, but we had a ceremony at school. I didn’t really know what was going on, but I knew it was serious. All the adults were serious and whispering, and watching the news all day.

Chaos unites America
McKay Mohun, ’13
Sept. 7, 2011

I was in first grade and remember that day really well because my mom and dad’s cars were both not working. I was still at home waiting to leave for school and the TV was on with pics of the two towers. I saw a plane go into one of the towers and at first I didn’t know what was going on. I didn’t believe it because I thought it was just a preview for a movie. Then my family starting watching and it got serious when they said it was really happening.

I didn’t go to school that day and kept watching all the chaos. I didn’t know what to do because I was so young, but I watched all the devastation and the terrible site.

It was amazing to see how it brought people together all over America. People were enthralled with patriotism and helping those who were affected by it, and the survivors weeks and weeks later. It truly is an amazing outcome for such a devastation. I will never forget 9/11, and when people today celebrate the memory of the people who died and who are currently fighting for our freedom, it is inspiring.

Recalling the scene
Kaitlyn King, ’14
Sept. 7, 2011

All I remember is walking into my living room and seeing it all over the news. My mom actually called one of her friends who was a flight attendant for American Airlines to see if she was alright.

Also, when I went to see Ground Zero during the sumer of 2009 it gave me a whole new perspective on the situation.

Watching in disbelief
Sharon Scharf, art teacher
Sept. 7, 2011

I was shocked. My husband saw the second plane hit a tower when he was watching the TV and then he said, “Oh my gosh, the other twin tower was just hit.” It was unbelievable.

My son-in-law was in advance officer’s training at the time in Georgia, and he didn’t know what was going on. He knew something was going on, but he had to call his wife on his cell phone to find out what. I just remember feeling anger and disbelief.

For more information on 9/11, read the March 2007 article, 911: Portrait of FDNY hero.

*Editor’s note: These photos by Marc AuMarc (Flickr user hankplank) is used in accordance with its Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic License.