Day one: Students ease into a new year

Every year, students of Fresno Christian go through a process of adjusting to regular school days during the first week of school. This is the first in a two-part series documenting their activities and adaptions.

As summer comes to a close, students must adjust to waking up early, completing homework and memorizing new schedules. While these things may not be practiced on a day-to-day basis over break, they are enveloped in the first day of the 2011-’12 school year.

Teachers impart overview for the year

After a school-wide convocation, students arrived at their homeroom classes where teachers reviewed rules and expectations.

Then began brief 30-minute classes which, according to leadership teacher Robert Foshee, gives a clear outline of the school year. This aims to ensure success in students’ different classes.

“In my classes I let them [students] know what to expect so they don’t have to guess what we’re going to be doing throughout the year,” Foshee said. “Everyone got to see a shortened version of what school is like. Its a snapshot of what we do.”

Scott Jennings, ’12, welcomed the routine of school after a summer of relaxation.

“Honestly, I was kind of getting bored at home and ready for school to start,” Jennings said. “It’s sad because its my last year before life gets serious. Today the classes were chill; not stressful.”

Lunch provides time for student groups

Instead of a normal lunch period, students were assigned to small groups where, for the remainder of the year, they will interact with people outside of their usual friend circle.

Freshman Ivette Ibarra felt that small groups provided an opportunity to engage with those older than her and build new relationships.

“I think it really helps people break out of their shells,” Ibarra said. “I’m excited to meet and get closer to these amazing girls [the people in her small group]. I can’t wait to see how the year unfolds.”

As a group leader, Jordan Boudreau, ’13, aims to unite his group throughout the year, especially with the diversity of interests he has seen.

“Being a leader for one of the life groups at school is a cool experience,” Boudreau said. “I hope as the school year progresses we will be able to connect better with one another and realize how much we really have in common. It will build relationships outside of our usual friends, helping to unite the school and fulfill the theme of ‘We Are One.'”

Assembly aims to unite student body

After finishing up remaining classes, a Jr. and Sr. high assembly commenced, which according to leadership teacher Jane Gillespie, strived to present actives for students to participate in.

“Our vision was to give people an idea of all the opportunities they have to get involved [in the school]. Our biggest hope is that every person would choose one thing to be involved in. We wanted to develop a sense of unity by getting everyone in the same room at the same time.”

During the gathering, fall sports were introduced in order to recruit more members and to encourage game attendance. Football player Brandon McCormick, ’13, believed this to be beneficial for the student body.

“I thought the idea of bringing up leaders and promoting each team was good,” McCormick said. “They could kind of give a general idea of what the season was going to be like and what everyone should be looking forward to.”

Overall, the first day of school proved to be an unchallenging day for students academically. Amy Savage, ’13, made a smooth transmission throughout the day and anticipates the year to come.

“It’s been pretty easy getting back into school,” Savage said. “The lack of homework made the first day actually enjoyable and I’m glad to be back with friends.”

For more information on the first day of school, read the Aug. 16 article
Convocation unites school with ‘We Are One’ theme.