'Any Man in America' recounts heart-wrenching testimony

I remember the first time I heard Blue October: I was trying to find a new band to get into and I happened to stumble across one of their new hits, “Hate Me.” The moment I heard lead singer Justin Furstenfeld?s raspy voice blast out of my speakers, I knew Blue October would be my new favorite band.

Fast forward five years to their newly-circulated sixth studio album, Any Man in America, released on Aug. 16, and anyone could guess my vast desire to own the CD.

As stated on the inside cover, Any Man in America was meant to be abound with songs describing Furstenfeld?s joy at being a father to his only daughter, Blue. Yet, after a bitter divorce and a lost custody battle, the album became a record of the aftermath of his relationships, chronicling every bit of his life.

From the first pleas for his wife to stay with him to the parts where Furstenfeld finally admits he feels ready to move on, this album radiates with emotions, this especially being the case for the last, sudden turn of events. The effect is a heart-wrenching album that ranges from the original rock sound of Blue October to new R&B and rap influences that the band pulls of especially well.

The album begins with “Feel Again (Stay),” an appeal Furstenfeld makes to his wife to end the separation they are currently involved in. The introduction of a single piano paired with far-away vocals sets the stage for the pleading that Furstenfeld is about to engage in. ?I wish you?d stay / That was the beginning of the two of us, the start of our show / Stay, stay, stay / Now I would never have let go,? Furstenfeld sings, describing his desire for his family to be back together. The lyrics are beautiful and are sung with such a feeling that the listener can?t stop their own hearts from breaking.

Any Man in America‘s first single, “The Chills,” is my favorite song from the album. With gritty guitar riffs and enthusiastic vocals, it seems to be the quintessential Blue October track. The song tells the story of the mental anguish Furstenfeld experiences with the disintegration of his marriage. Furstenfeld uses the chills he feels as the evidence of his love for his wife, and uses it as to request her to stay one last time before he starts to move on. ?Why do I only feel the chills when I?m with you?? Furstenfeld questions, ?I only hear the words that you say are true / but you keep thinking it over, thinking it over / you can catch me if you wanted to.”

Throughout the whole CD, there are obvious rap influences, and the title track ?Any Man in America? is the manifestation of these influences. Although the beginning of the song begins with a violin and Furstenfeld?s soft lyrics, about thirty seconds into it, a bass beat takes over and the earlier gentleness turn into a harsh, rap-like sound.

The track is Furstenfeld?s way of offering advice to other men in America going through a custody battle. In the chorus, Furstenfeld belts out: ?You don?t know / You act like you believe it / That you?re in control / It?s just your legal system though / They don?t think about you / They don?t care about you / Now every man in America take back your control.? Throughout the song, Furstenfeld angrily expresses resentment with his ex-wife and the custody battle through which he believes the obvious bias the judicial system shows towards women becomes apparent through.

?Blue you are my heart. My world. My every waking breath. I will never give up on you.? These words written on the inside cover reverberated within me as I listened to the CD for the first time. Never before have I been moved by music in a way that Furstenfeld’s beautiful songs have moved me, resulting in a few pitiful tears that come with the final notes.

There are three songs that begin with recordings of phone conversations between Furstenfeld, his wife and his daughter, which were reminiscent of earlier albums by the band, proving that the words Furstenfeld sings are both especially meaningful and true to him.

While I was not at all pleased with the twist in style this album took at first, as I continued to listen I started to enjoy it. The change in style seemed to represent the changes in Furstenfeld?s life. The lyrics also seemed to go back to the extremely personal roots of past albums, forgoing metaphors far more ?open-book? than usual. I can definitely say that, by the end of the album, my frustration with the sudden rap and R&B influences changed into an absolute love for them.

I would recommend Any Man in America for anyone who wants to discover a band with an original sound. The passion of Furstenfeld?s voice and his willingness to be open about his life are items that other artists should look up to and desire, as I believe they are the apex of music, R&B or otherwise.

The album is available on iTunes, on Amazon.com and at most local music stores.

For more music reviews, read the April 28 article, Genre-shattering talent, emotion perfect ‘All At Once’.