Arthop promotes Fresno Water Tower, philanthropy

The Fresno Arts Council sponsors ArtHop, an event which educates the community about the local arts. In this column, freshman Ryan King chronicles his twice-a-month visits to ArtHop.

In response to an invitation from Fresno artist Myrna Axt, I visited the Fresno Water Tower for the first Arthop of the month, Sept. 1. The art was uniquely displayed within the city landmark.

The purpose of an ordinary Arthop is to let artists show their works for a promotion. However, this ArtHop was for a charitable cause, as artists payed a $10 fee to be featured, and relinquished their earnings from the event to support charitable organizations.

This particular ArtHop promoted the Water Tower in addition to the Hands on Central California, an organization that keeps up the visitor center in Fresno. Hands on Central California also assists the Poverello House and the Community Food Bank.

Upon my arrival, I met ArtHop coordinator Meg Oakford. She introduced me to some of the artists at the event, including Magyar.

Typically, Magyar paints flowers and fruit on canvas to represent how she sees art in life. Her painting style is a reminder of the simple things in life people take for granted. In fact, Magyar views live images as paintings, everywhere and everyday. Once she sees her new muse, she can finish a painting in as little a timespan as three days.

Another artist I met was Linda Lloyd Pitts, who paints under unconventional guidelines. Pitts decided life is short and would paint to her own satisfaction after losing sight in one eye as a result of a unexpected accident. Her art reflects these sentiments, as she focuses on flowers with the use of mix media. In the past, Pitts painted with acrylics which portrays a more distinguished appearance.

In her ending comments about her art, Pitt said that she decided to stop following the run-of-the-mill rules, and just wanted to paint what she had always wanted to paint.

Since I have never attended an ArtHop before, I found it a great activity to participate in, and I appreciated the chance to meet interesting people who have a passion for art. Now I have gained an appreciation for this occupation.

This particular ArtHop shows how art can be a tool for helping others. I want to further understand how art is intricately involved in the community, as it played a role by bringing in donations for Fresno-based charities.

For more information on ArtHop, read the Aug. 22 column
Unconventional exhibit features Asian art, culture.