BREAKING: ASB announces homecoming ideas

With weeks of planning and years of experience behind them, the ASB today announced this year’s homecoming theme, which will revolve around board games. Homecoming will be held on Oct. 14 at the FC football field and stadium.

Homecoming events will be held throughout the week of Oct. 10-14. Annual traditions include the King Dance, the Queen Pageant and the Princess Pageants. In past years, themes have ranged from music genres to holidays.

Classes met earlier during a chapel period to determine which float category they wanted and to nominate students for the homecoming court. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors voted for the princesses of their class, while the seniors selected potential kings and queens.

The results of the nominations are being counted and will be made public during the announcements, Sept. 9.

Student leadership advisors Robert Foshee and Jane Gillespie will be coordinating the occasion along with the ASB officers. After voting over the course of the past few school days, the ASB picked this homecoming theme out of a selection of several others.

“We talked about it and went over the pros and cons of each and, once that was finished, we voted and choose out of the top three or four categories,” Foshee said. “I’m super excited for homecoming. I think the floats are going to be awesome and the events throughout the week are going to focus on bringing everyone together through fellowship and activities.”

Though pageants and the competition in general is still more than a month off, Gillespie sees today as the beginning of homecoming, as she believes that ASB’s announcement ushered in the commencement of the season.

“I’m excited that today is the official start of getting the ball for homecoming week rolling,” Gillespie said. “The princessess, kings and queens are all getting nominated and the classes have a chance to start talking about their floats and now is basically the kickoff for the homecoming season.”

As a representative for the sophomore class, Rayna Endicott looks forward for this year’s homecoming theme, which she believes it will be a unifying, enjoyable experience.

“I’m anticipating the theme and seeing our class work together on our float,” Endicott said. “I really like this year’s theme because you can do a lot with and I know it’s going to be fun.”

The Feather will have more news on homecoming as it develops throughout the next month. Check back later for a feature on the homecoming court.

For more news, read the Sept. 7 article, BRIEF: First rally to celebrate new athletic year.