Max Hinton Blood Drive continued to benefit community

Students and faculty are invited to come out and join in the third annual Max Hinton Blood Drive, Sept. 27. The event will be held in the high school parking lot from 1-5:30 p.m.

In the past, the blood drive has been held in support of Hinton, a 6-year-old boy who was diagnosed with stage four neuroblastoma. The donations of blood supported Hinton, who, after months of battling the disease, is in full remission.

“The original reason for these blood drives was to help support Max,” student leadership adviser Robert Foshee said. “He is a big part of this school and we did everything we could to support him and his family.”

Foshee, who is helping put on the campaign, stresses the importance of the small act of donation.

“There are kids and adults everywhere that need blood and one donation can save three lives,” Foshee said. “That’s a huge benefit. This is a more personal thing for the FC kids because of Max, and we are grateful he is in full remission.”

Senior Kenna Wheeler, a first-time donor, usually attempts to avoid needles because of a phobia she has. However, she sees the cause as too important to evade.

“I’m giving blood because I think it’s a good opportunity to help people I don’t necessarily know and get over my fear of needles in the process,” Wheeler said. “However uncomfortable it makes me, it still saves someone’s life, which I think is worth the entire thing.”

Returning as a veteran, junior Ashley Erickson encourages people to become patrons, stating that the main reason should be purpose enough to give.

“Last year I decided to give blood because it’s a really quick and pretty much painless way to give to someone and maybe save a life,” Erickson said. “It’s really not as scary as people might think it would be; the people were really nice and everything was really quick and efficient.”

Foshee feels these blood drives are a great way to unite the school and community.

“A blood drive ties in perfectly with our school year motto, ‘We Are One,’ because doing an unselfish act to help others is what God has called us to do,” Foshee said. “Its great to see the students with their family and friends come out and support those in need.”

Donors must be at least 110 pounds, over the age of 16 and have a photo ID on-hand in order to participate in the blood drive. In addition, no matter what age, students who are donating must bring a consent form signed by their parents.

For more information on the Max Hinton Blood Drive, read the March 22 article on last school year’s drive.

For more news, read the Sept. 23 article, Moms and Dads Clubs seeks participation, donations.