Volleyball sport shorts: Sierra

VOLLEYBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011–
(For the previous game, check out Volleyball sport shorts: Liberty. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for volleyball features. For more information on FCS sports, visit the Fresno Christian Athletics web page.)

Check out the 2011 schedule and stay up to date with stats and standings at Maxpreps’ Eagles’ volleyball home page. FC is currently 0-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Sept. 14. The Eagles will next host Riverdale for their first league game, Oct. 4.

VOLLEYBALL, 2011

CHIEFTAINS DEFEAT EAGLES–Sept. 14
With FC’s first scrimmage behind them, they traveled to the home of the Sierra Chieftains for their opening game of the year, Sept. 14. Sierra jumped on FC right off the bat as they won the first match, 25-16, but the Eagles answered back in the second to win 25-18. This forced the game into four matches and the Chieftains were able to hang on and clinch the win, 25-20 and 25-23, 3-1.

First year varsity setter, Bri Graff, ’13, says although the team lost, the team is learning each match they play. She also believes that as the season continues on, the team will not make the same mistakes again and become stronger.

“Losing the games are making us realize we are better than what we are playing as,” Graff said. “And it is pointing things we need to work on but it’s also making us stronger because we are learning how to play with one another and when season begins I feel we will be a very strong team.”

The team’s outside hitter junior Alexis Ellis says that she was disappointed, but feels they have learned some valuable lessons.

“It was a real bummer that we lost,” Ellis said, “because I know for a fact our team could have done so much better. I think as a team can improve on our mental game and positive attitudes.”

Head coach Jeff Macneil says that he is proud of the team for getting back on the court and winning the next match 25-18 after losing the first game, 25-16.

“After losing the first game, I am glad that the team bounced back,” Macneil said. “We had some tough points but going into the season I am confident that we will do great. I am also impressed that every girl comes out everyday and gives me their best.”

The Eagles will next host Riverdale for their first league game, Oct. 4.