Rood embraces volleyball camaraderie

Most parents encourage their children to be active and have a hobby outside of school such as a musical instrument, dance, or sports. Ever since junior Logan Rood was a child, her parents wanted their daughter to be active and involved by playing numerous sports.

At the age of 11, Rood was first introduced to volleyball by her friends, and decided to try the new sport by joining the team. While in junior high, Rood played softball and basketball, but then shifted her focus in high school towards volleyball.

“My parents always wanted me to play as many sports as possible,” Rood said. “So, since volleyball was one of the sports offered in fifth grade, I decided to keep playing. It also helped because all my friends were on the team.”

According to Rood, volleyball is her favorite sport because it is a mental game which teaches her how to be one with the team. After experiencing the sport for a while, she came to appreciate it.

“Volleyball is a mental game especially over softball and basketball and I love that,” Rood said. “You have a chance to get to know your teammates. I like other sports besides volleyball such as softball and basketball, but softball is way more individual and not a team sport. And basketball was just way too physical for me.”

Playing volleyball was not always easy for Rood. Throughout the years, she had to overcome many obstacles and hardships along the way. Last year, due to lack of players on the varsity team, Rood was pulled up from junior varsity, which was a difficult transition, she says.

“Last year, when I was the youngest player on the varsity team, it was hard for me,” Rood said. “I had the least experience on the team and I felt like everyone would be mad at me if I made mistakes. But I got over it quickly because the older girls were so nice to me and encouraged me even when I made mistakes.”

According to longtime teammate Kristen Rosenthal, ’13, Rood is a significant player on the team due to her natural assets.

“She [Rood] is a great aid to our team, especially her height,” Rosenthal said. “Some games her wall just shuts other teams down. She’s a good balance on the team, especially with such a different variety of girls.”

Due to many years of being actively involved in sports, Rood is a solid volleyball player with great dedication and leadership, according to Head Coach Jeff Macneil.

“Logan is here every day for practice and she is giving her best everyday,” Macneil said. “She also leads by example, not by words. She is dedicated to the sport and that’s what we are looking for on the team.”

Rood has played for the school, but has also played for two years on the club team, Central Cal. She says that her experience on the club team has made her a stronger player.

“By being on different teams with different coaches they have taught us to come together as a team and play as a team,” Rood said. “You can’t do one thing individually, and that is important in volleyball because volleyball is a mental sport and if you’re not all together or in sync then you will be totally lost.”

Due to all of the jumping, diving and other dangerous maneuvers required of volleyball players, after awhile this takes a toll on the body, which resulted in a severe injured for Rood last season.

“My knee popped out of place sophomore year,” Rood said. “I had to sit out for two practices and a game; it was hard for just sitting on the sideline and not being able to help out. After getting injured, I was more cautious. I am not completely healed so I have to wear a knee brace to prevent that from happening again. But I am not going to give up volleyball just because of injuries and pain because it is the love of my life and passion.”

When it comes to volleyball, Rood says that she looks up to the team’s senior captain, Katelyn Miller. According to Rood, Miller is not only a great leader, but she also tries to help the players outside of the court with their struggles.

“I really look up to Katelyn this year,” Rood said. “She is a good example and a role model. She also knows how to have a good time and laugh. And she’s very good at giving advice both inside and outside of the court.”

After graduating from high school next year, Rood hopes to attend either Fresno Pacific University or Biola University and continue her volleyball career.

“I am not sure if I want to move out of Fresno yet,” Rood said. “But whichever college I go to, I want to continue on my volleyball career. I am not sure if I can play at a college level but I will try my best to make it happen.”

The Eagles will play their next game of the season against Tranquillity at home at 6 p.m., Oct. 25. For more volleyball coverage, read the Oct. 28 article, Volleyball sport shorts: Parlier. For more information on FCS sports, visit the Fresno Christian Athletics web page.

Editor’s note: Check back soon for a video on Rood.