History class experiences Renaissance culture, era

The air was hot; the smell of fresh food engrossed the crowd. It was like a dream set during the Renaissance. The annual Renaissance Fair, sponsored by St. Paul Newman’s Center on Oct. 26-27, was designed to let students take a first hand look into how the world used to be.

The campus history teachers, Greg Page along with Ellen King both encourage their history classes attend this fair every year. Page has made his class attend this for six years and about 99 percent go to the fair because it is mandatory unless they want an alternative assignment.

“I make my students attend because it gives them a chance to view the culture of that time period to a certain extent,” Page said. “It is good because it has great crafts, food and people who dress according to the Renaissance era. It’s great how they act out different parts and really get into their role.”

Some students who attended the fair thought it was cool to have a little taste of the olden days, and some just thought it was childish. Jordan Hogue, ’06, thought it was very exciting and his favorite part was the fighting.

“I interviewed a guy from Muscavi and a wine importer with a parrot named Herra,” Hogue said. “I was also scared by a queen who looked like a man.”

Due to student opinion, one of the best features of the fair is the food. People come from all around town to get a taste of the meals they might have eaten as kids. Some of the foods were tri-tip, barbeque, funnel cakes, and sodas.

Most students who attended, were from world history which is a predominantly sophomore and freshman class. Lindsey Martens, ?05, attended the fair on Sunday and enjoyed a glimpse at a new culture.

“This fair was cool to see because there was commotion all around, and it felt like you stepped into an old movie,” Martens said. “My favorite part was the great food, and to see what things were like back then.”

Another student who attended the Renaissance fair and enjoyed the overall atmosphere was Garrett Stripe, ’06, whose favorite part of the fair was also the knights fighting.

“At this fair there was mostly crafts, good food and, good entertainment,” Stripe said. “I interviewed; a fighter, a spinner, and a wine trader. They all got really into their roles and gave me a lot of good information. I really enjoyed it.”

Another member of Page’s history class who attended was Kira Armbruster, ’06. Whose favorite part of the fair was seeing all of the people dressed up as their character.

“There were lots of people with crafts, knights fighting and people walking around saying ?Long live the King!” Armbruster said. “I interviewed a guy with a parrot, a royal court jester, plus a man and his wife who were merchants.”