Blood drive collects contributions, supports local hospitals (VIDEO)

In order to support the third annual Max Hinton Blood Drive, over 60 students, parents and faculty came out to the high school parking lot where the Central California Blood Center (CCBC) parked their Bloodmobile, Sept. 27.

The CCBC travels to five different counties: Fresno, Madera, Mariposa, Kings and Tulare. According to Donor Recruiter Lynn Stone, there are 31 hospitals that the CCBC serves.

?We have a huge territory; there’s 31 hospitals that we have to serve,? Stone said. ?So it’s not just the Fresno area, and that’s why we’re constantly calling people, begging them to please come and donate.? This time 26 new donors gave their blood.

Since young people generally don’t take a lot of medications, there are a lot of positive things about good, fresh blood. Because of this, the CCBC focuses on getting people donating early, so that they can expect the act to become routine and something they do for themselves and their community, according to Stone.

Although first-time donor, junior Briana Graff had pre-conceived anxiety, she still looked forward to the opportunity, finding the overall experience to be fulfilling.

?I was nervous about if it was going to hurt and how I was going to feel afterwards, like the symptoms and fainting,? Graff said. ?The thing I was looking forward to was making someone else feel better and how I could save a child?s life by this. I also thought about all the kids who have to do this every single day, and thought that if they can do it everyday, I can do it at least once. Afterwards, I felt better knowing that I did something good, and overall it was a great experience; I would do it again.?

While many people come as first-time donors, David Jennings, father of senior Scott Jennings and freshman Breanna Jennings, returned as an experienced donor.

?Every time I do it, it?s not a big deal, you just keep on giving blood,? Jennings said. ?I go in as often as I can, and they call me sometimes to give, and I get in when I can. The main reason I do it is because it?s helping other people out; people in the hospital or future people.?

According to Stone, there is an emergency need for O negative blood type right now, which means that anytime a person knows they are O negative, it is important to give. ?E-mail blasts,? newspaper announcements or television reports are usually sent out to inform people of the need.

“O negative blood is important because it is a universal blood type, which means anybody will accept it,” Stone said. “Therefore, if anyone is ever in an accident and there is no time to figure out what blood type they are, O negative blood can be given.”

Despite the willingness to donate, senior Allison Camden was not able to, due to low blood pressure, but says she hopes to in the future.

?I couldn?t give blood because my blood pressure was too low,? Camden said. ?I was a little disappointed when I found out because I was looking forward to it, even though I was nervous. They said I could try to do it again, so I hope that I can try to give for my first time in the future.?

Even though math teacher Jane Gillespie has had problems with low iron in the past, she decided to try again and was able to donate.

?I have not donated in about five years because every time I go I get my iron checked and they wouldn?t let me donate because I have low iron,? Gillespie said. ?I thought I would try and I was okay. I wasn?t too nervous, but I do get anxious because I don?t like having a needle in my arm. Despite this, it saves lives and anything you can do to help people out is a good thing.?

The Bloodmobile collected 47 pints of blood in total — 17 people were deferred –, and each donor received an “IMA BLD DONR RU?? shirt after completing the process.

For more information on the blood drive, read the Sept. 26 article, Max Hinton Blood Drive to benefit community.

For more features, read the Sept. 26 article,
Writers channel ideas on The Feather Blogosphere.