Music department participates in upcoming processions

The 82nd annual Caruthers District Fair, California’s largest free gate fair, will be held, Sept. 28-Oct. 1 in the downtown area. This year will once again feature the FC marching band, who will compete with schools such as Riverdale High School, Kerman High School and Washington Union High School, in the Caruthers Fair Parade at 10 a.m., Oct. 1.

The parade, which will function under the theme of “Country Nights & Carnival Lights,” also hosts dance teams and floats.

Besides the parade, the fair holds a queen contest with proceeds donated to the winning girl and the fair. Plenty of rides surround the event, and food booths line its borders, which are set up by nearby schools and churches. In the exhibits, fair viewers can see displays ranging from agriculture to home arts.

The junior high and high school marching band, accompanied by the FC percussion ensemble and high school color guard, will be stepping off not long after the parade’s start time. According to fine arts director Michael Ogdon, the group will perform with the musical theme of “Spirit of America.”

“This is our first marching venture for the year, so there is a bit of nervousness running through the band ranks,” Ogdon said. “I believe the experience will prove to be a good one, though. We’ve worked hard to be ready for it and have hopes of marching and playing well.”

In previous years, the marching band has won awards for merit and overall competition at the Caruthers District Fair. This year proves no exception as the band marches out with high expectations.

“Although we have fewer members in the band compared to other schools, our quality is surprisingly remarkable,” said Drum Major Eric Cowin ’14. “We have multiple students who are just learning how to read music and play their instrument properly, which makes our progress incredible.”

Instrumental groups will participate in more events the same weekend. The percussion ensemble, led by percussionist Gary Smith, will be marching in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, which is put on by the American Cancer Society, Oct. 2. This event raises breast cancer awareness, beginning at 7 a.m. in Woodward Park. Those who wish to attend should look for signs directing to the starting point.

“I’m excited for percussion to be doing this walk because we are integrating ourselves in the community,” Smith said. “I have done this event before and I am happy that percussion is branching out and getting more involved.”

The percussion ensemble will be meeting the California State University, Fresno, group during the walk and accompanying the walkers about 500 yards to their next stop.

For more information on the FC music department, read the Oct. 29, 2010, article, Band to march in Selma Festival or the Dec. 10, 2010, article, Percussionist supplies leadership, motivation. For more news, read the Max Hinton Blood Drive continued to benefit community.