Stobbe sustains podcast feature

As a unique aspect of online journalism, The Feather Online provides readers with audio storytelling through the avenue of podcasting. Senior Brooke Stobbe channels her thoughts on student life through her show, Where the Brooke Flows, through weekly episodes.

Rather than merely giving the facts, Stobbe has the opportunity to share various perspectives of events, ranging from school activities to interesting occurrences in her life, to moral lessons. In addition, Stobbe goes beyond simple writing on paper to put a voice to her words.

“Podcasting is an outlet for me to express my thoughts,” Stobbe said. “If I’m struggling through a teen issue or reflecting on an event, I can just turn it into a more universal concept and hopefully inspire people to think differently or provoke change.”

Stobbe began podcasting near the end of her freshman year with David Casuga, ’12, producing. Despite attending a public school her sophomore year, she continued to work for The Feather with an outside perspective of the FC community in her show, A View From the Outside. However, once she re-enrolled, she continued Where the Brooke Flows into her senior year.

After working in a team for three years, Stobbe moved to a level of independence, learning the steps of producing her own podcasts in addition to writing and performing them.

“I initially asked David to teach me how to produce the episodes to help take a load off his back,” she said. “But if I really want to pursuit broadcast journalism, I need to understand all aspects of the field, including tech and production.”

In addition to widening of her media abilities with the intent to further a career in journalism, Stobbe aims to perfect her series and produce a rewarding project.

“As I learn more about the editing process, I expand my capabilities and it even helps improve each episode’s content,” Stobbe said. “Sure it’s hard to learn; I’m not tech savvy, but the profit outweighs any issue I may have initially.”

Where the Brooke Flows features four podcasts so far this year. The podcasts will be posted once a week.

“I want my episodes to be universal and relatable because I know they’re not interesting if they’re all about me,” Stobbe said. “I hope that as I’m sharing personal experiences and thoughts, people can connect with what I’m saying and possibly even think differently. In general, though, my general mission is just to get people to listen.”

For more information on podcasting, read the Jan. 26 article, Feather podcast series facilitates career aspirations.

To listen to podcasts, including past and current episodes, visit the Podcast Section.

PODCAST: Football games spur excitement, spirit, Sept. 29, 2011–