COMMENTARY: Apple business legend passes away

The former CEO and co-founder of Apple, Steve Jobs, passed away at age the age of 56, leaving behind a culture reformed by digital communication, Oct. 5.

The man who put Apple computers on the map in 1976, left a legacy that few in the modern business world have matched.

Although complaints repeat day after day because of the current economic downturn, Mr. Jobs was able to demonstrate success. Not only did he demonstrated what innovation, vision and action could do, he changed the way millions of people think and dream.

Yet it wasn’t his co-marketing of the Apple II computer with childhood friend Steve Wozniack that set him apart. After becoming a millionaire by age 25 and removed from his company at age 30, any outside observer would assume that his Personal Legend should have been destroyed.

However, like few great men and women before him and a few who are determined to follow after him, personal disappointment only created opportunity for tomorrow’s success in Mr. Jobs’s life.

While Apple began to slowly become insignificant during his absence, Mr. Jobs created an empire of innovation, including the birth of other companies such as NeXT and a division of Lucas Films. Even with these personal successes Mr. Jobs did not limit himself. When Apple asked him to return in 1996, he jumped at the chance, scorning bitterness and resentment.

Mr. Jobs used his time away from Apple to help catapult his creativity. He became the brains behind Apple’s iconic revolution in personal computing and listening devices, including the personal computer, iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Rather, as Dale Carnegie stressed, “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” Mr. Jobs utilized his time and opportunity to make the best of his future.

His accomplishments and contributions revolutionized what we now know in the educational world. Students are able to incorporate media and music into the daily learning process.

IT Director, David Martens appreciates Mr. Jobs’s hand in remodeling the technology.

“Being a Mac site from day one here, we have benefited greatly from all of his accomplishments,” Martens said. “He was always a visionary, he did more than just ask what people wanted, but actually produced a product that they could use.”

Mr. Jobs was able to leave technology in a place where it can continue to grow and develops. Martens recognizes one of the newest products of Apple.

“There are a couple products that are going to have a lasting impacts,” Martens said. “The iPad is one of them. It is a revolutionary item, especially for education as textbooks and presentation of information becomes more developed.”

While the world now will only read about the man, Mr. Jobs, his legacy lives on as we type our notes, listen to a favorite tunes and develop the next platform.