Dominant defense leads football into Sierra playoffs

Looking for a perfect last Friday night Nov. 8, amidst the pouring rain, the Eagles turned in a memorable 41-0 performance against Coast Union to cap off a 10-0 season.

The Eagles once again dominated their opponents on both sides of the ball, out gaining the Broncos with 201 yards, compared to only 48 yards.

The Eagles defense also added two scores, both of which came on interceptions returned for touchdowns. Tyler Wiebe, ’04, and Austin Livingston, ’03, had interceptions for 40 and 31 yards respectively.

For the season, the Eagles outscored their opponents 412-35. Defensive coordinator Chris Schultz said he was pleased with the way his defense has performed all year.

“We knew all along that we would have an explosive defense,” Schultz said. “What I didn’t know was how dominating they would be. Each week the guys have played better. We believed and expected to shut everyone down. However, in the playoffs our defense will need to play at their best to give us a chance to win.”

Even with injuries to key players, the Eagles maintained their dominance throughout the entire season, starting with their first game, an 18-13 defeat of Immanuel on Aug. 30.

Sam Fisher, ’03, playing in the last regular season game of his high school career, played well, but was limited by the weather conditions. It rained during the first and third quarters, leaving the field muddy and full of puddles. Fisher finished the game 3-6 for 88 yards with two TD passes of 60 and 12 yards to Colby Hunter,’03.

Fullback Rene Charest, ’04, carried 11 times for 78 yards, once again eating up tough yardage for the Eagles.

“Fish’ and all the guys have been talking about how good we would be since junior high.” Charest said. “Now it’s finally happening. We know we can take Valley.”

“I am really pleased with the guys and the way they’ve played,” coach Jon Hall said. “I think we’re ready to show some people what we can do in the playoffs.”

The Eagles will play Parlier in the first-round on Nov. 15 at Clark Elementary School. With a win, the Eagles would advance to the second round of the Sierra playoffs, where they would play the winner of the Immanuel-Riverdale match up.

“Parlier is a worthy opponent.” Fisher said. “We’ll need to play hard and smart to come up with a win Friday.” Fisher did add a note of caution however. “10-0 is great, but if we lose in the playoffs it means monkey punch.”