Novice staffers share journalism expectations

jadonate
[/media-credit] New staffers Jaden Ventura and Nathan Mounts share their perspective as newly fledged journalists.

After about a month of other electives, we decided that our time would be more useful pursuing an elective that would be in our better interest.

We heard about publications adviser Greg Stobbe and learned that he was a really interesting teacher. Just like Stobbe said, “You guys knew it wouldn’t be an underwater basket weaving class.” We found out we would actually have to work. It wouldn’t just be an easy “A.”

Which is also why we joined the class because it builds motivation to get the job done. This type of work is what structures a strong foundation in constructive writing.

Journalism is a new concept to us because it is our first year and we have yet to learn what it holds for us in the future. We were encouraged to join this class not only family but also our fellow classmates at FC.

We were very motivated to do this class because of all the good things people had told us about it. The reasons why we joined to have a better appreciation for journalism and what its all about.

This year we plan on making a difference on The Feather so we can affect all of the readers and be able to inspire them to help us be the best high school newspaper in the nation. We are also hopeful that journalism can increase our communication skills.

We switched classes so we could be able to further apply ourselves in not only our school but in our everyday lives. Another reason why we joined is because it is important to be able to affect and inspire our audience so that we can, in the future, be better equipped with the essential skills that are used throughout everyday life.

It is important to us that we make use all of the time that we are given at FC, and not wasting it on non-essential electives. One of the most important reasons why we joined journalism is so that we may be better prepared for college.

Overall we believe this was a good transition from other electives because challenging ourselves not only pushes us but to motivate ourselves to become better journalists.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_jadenventura and @nate10messi1. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.