BRIEF: PSAT evaluates student ability

Today, many students made an extra effort to arrive at school on time in order to take the PSAT/NMSQT. As prep for the SAT, this test was made available to all freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

At 8 a.m. this morning, 114 people — 22 of which were from either Sierra Charter School or a home school program — were seated in the Peoples Church Gym to take the test.

According to Academic Adviser, Molly Sargent, the PSAT is essential for students to gain experience with standardize tests.

“It is a very low cost way of practically replicating the SAT,” Sargant said. “It gives you a chance to practice in practically the same environment and test.”

Additionally, juniors can be eligible for scholarships if they do well on the exam.

“The PSAT is important because the results are used to award scholarships to juniors through National Merit Scholarship program,” Sargent said. “They are very influential in assisting students for getting them into the best collages as the award is very prestigious.”

The PSAT, co-sponsored by the College Board, consisted of five sections: two 25-minute critical reading sections, two 25-minute math sections and one 30-minute writing section. The entire testing period lasted for about two hours and 10 minutes.

As a first time participant, Ivette Ibarra, ’15, felt the length of the test affected her ability to do well.

“The PSAT was very long and tedious,” Ibarra said. “It was such a long test I didn’t feel as though I focussed very well.”

In contrast, Rachel Quiring, ’13, who has taken the PSAT in previous years, felt more prepared for this year’s test.

“I felt like I had a better handle on the material because the questions were less random,” Quiring said. “Being in an older grade, I’ve learned more since last time.”

The next standardized test will be the PLAN test. This is a practice test for the ACT. The PLAN test will be administered on campus, Nov. 9. It is being offered free, students need to sign up in the office by Oct. 28. For more information, contact Molly Sargent via email.