Volleyball sport shorts: Fowler

VOLLEYBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011–
(For the previous game, check out the Volleyball sport shorts: Caruthers. Visit the Sports Section for volleyball features. For more information on FCS sports, visit the Fresno Christian Athletics Web page.)

Check out the 2011 schedule and stay up to date with stats and standings at Maxpreps’ Eagles’ volleyball home page. FC is currently 4-1 and 3-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Oct. 13. The Eagles will next host Parlier High School, Oct. 18.

VOLLEYBALL, 2011

EAGLES DEFEAT REDCATS, 3-2–Oct. 13
The Eagles played the Fowler High for their fourth straight win, Oct. 13. Due to the tight scores, they had played all the way up to five sets.

The Eagles dominated the first two sets by 25-19 and 25-20, but the Redcats caught up quickly by the next 2 sets and won 25-23 and 25-11. The fifth set goes to 15, and ended up at a double match point as the Eagles pulled through to win 17-15.

Sophomore Kristen Rosenthal, who put up 17 digs, says that she was extremely nervous since they played all the way up to five games as it was close to 2 hours.

“It was nerve wrecking,” Rosenthal said. “But I am proud of our team for not getting distracted and giving up. I hope there’s no more games like this in the future.”

Head coach Jeff Macneill says that the team was able to win because they did not let their emotions control them. He says that along with other players, sophomore Annaleah Madison, who had several blocks, contributed to the win.

“There was a lot of emotion during the game,” Macneill said. “I knew that the team who controls their emotions will win in a 2 hour match. The turning point was when Annaleah made some blocks and the other team was playing more conservative.”

The team’s setter, Bri Graff, ’13, says that although it was hard for the team to stay focused under pressure, she is glad that the team put their heads back in the game.

“I felt nervous because every point counted,” Graff said. “And it’s hard staying confident in such conditions. Although the scores were tight we played hard and we worked together. I am just proud of everyone for playing with their hearts and as a team I think this game brought us a lot closer .”

According to junior Alexis Ellis, who had 2 aces, 3 kills, and 11 digs says that she appreciates the positive attitudes from her teammates even when she messed up.

“There was a lot of mixed emotions during that game,” Ellis said. “But as a team we pulled it back together by staying positive and didn’t put each other down even when it got rough. But in all reality, this game was played for God and he gave us the strength we needed to win.”

The Eagles will next host Parlier High School, Oct. 18.