Volleyball sport shorts: Parlier

VOLLEYBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011–
(For the previous game, check out the Volleyball sport shorts: Fowler. Visit the Sports Section for volleyball features. For more information on FCS sports, visit the Fresno Christian Athletics Web page.)

Check out the 2011 schedule and stay up to date with stats and standings at Maxpreps’ Eagles’ volleyball home page. FC is currently 5-1 and 4-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Oct. 18. The Eagles will next travel to play Riverdale High school, Oct. 20.

VOLLEYBALL, 2011

EAGLES DEFEAT PANTHERS, 3-0–Oct. 18
The Eagles played Parlier High for their fifth straight win, Oct. 18. During the first set, the Eagles led the game, winning 25-14 and continued on to win the next two sets, 25-7 and 25-10.

Sophomore Bri Graff, who had 5 aces, 1 kill and 7 assists, says that after coming off of their close win over Fowler, 3-2, Oct. 13, the match against Parlier was rather slow paced.

“I feel like the game was kind of boring in a way,” Graff said. “Unlike the Fowler game, which was extremely intense, this game was slow and boring. In the future, I would like to play more teams like Fowler, but it still felt good to get the win.”

The team’s libero Kristen Rosenthal, ’13, who had 5 aces, 1 kill, and 1 dig, says that she agrees with Graff and believes if the team is willing to leave it all on the court each game, they have potential to beat all the teams in DV.

“I definitely like playing challenging teams more,” Rosenthal said. “But I’m glad with tonight’s result and I think we can beat all the teams we are going to play in our league if we play with intensity.”

Head coach Jeff MacNeill says his team keeps making improvements which will help in their upcoming games.

“Parlier did a good job during the game,” Macneill said. “They were a good opponents but our girls played well as a team. All of our servers got aces and everyone got a kill. It was a truly a team effort.”

The Eagles will next travel to play Riverdale High School, Oct. 20.