BRIEF: Grandparents Day to be held Friday (VIDEO)

They trudged miles in the rain and snow just to go to school — little did they know, they would be back. Grandparents Day will be held at FC, Oct. 21.

For the 20th annual Grandparents Day, grandparents should plan to arrive by 9:30 a.m. at either the Building 5 or Building 6 office, depending on their grandchild’s age. There, they will receive their grandchild’s class schedule.

Grandparents will attend classes with their grandchildren, and then eat lunch with the FC community. Although the lunch is usually served by members of the California Scholarship Federation, this year it will be served by the high school leadership team.

Since not all grandparents have just one child, some must make their way between various classes. Senior Morgan Childs has experienced the complicated schedule of having many siblings.

“It’s really fun having grandparents visit,” Childs said. “Usually, my grandparents have to split their time between my three siblings and I, but unfortunately this is the first time in 13 years my grandparents are not able to attend. Although it is disappointing, I’m excited to experience being adopted by other people’s grandparents.”

Leadership adviser Jane Gillespie looks forward to the chance to interact with students and their grandparents.

“I am excited to have the grandparents in my classroom again this year,” Gillespie said. “It’s a fun day to see how proud the grandparents are of their children, and I like that the students take pride in showing off their work in school.”

For more information on previous years of Grandparents Day, read Sept. 22, 2010 article, Grandparents Day to connect generations and the 2009 video, Grandparents Day 2009.