Day provides glimpse of school life for grandparents

Crowds fill the hallways, sipping coffee and looking for the next class to attend. These people are more than just students roaming the hallways: they are grandparents accompanying their grandchildren for the 20th annual Grandparents Day, Oct. 21.

Grandparents of K-12th students arrived at FCS at 9:30 a.m., receiving their grandchild?s schedule for the day. After attending several different classes, grandparents and their grandchildren were served a lunch comprised of lasagna, salad and bread in the Peoples Church Gym. This year, 528 grandparents attended Grandparents Day, and 752 students and their grandparents were fed in the People’s Church Gym.

During various classes, grandparents were given the chance to hear what students are currently learning and witness a classroom dynamic. Paula Baker, grandmother of third grade student Jayden Wood and freshman Brooke Wood, says she enjoyed getting to spend time with her grandchildren and seeing the spiritual aspects of FCS.

?Grandparents Day is always a good thing,? Baker said. ?Every year I look forward to it and enjoy being with my grandchildren, seeing their teachers and hearing what their learning about. I went to Bible class this morning and the thing that I liked the best was the prayer and spirituality of this year.?

While some grandparents live close by, others travel from out of state in order to be with their grandchildren. According to Judy Wortley, grandmother of sophomore Mikayla Messer, eighth grade student Courtney Messer, sixth grade student Olivia Messer and fourth grade student Annabelle Messer, she always has to switch between her grandkids’ different classrooms, but finds pleasure in seeing them at school.

?I?m from Nebraska, and I?ve come to Grandparents Day for three years now,? Wortley said. ?I just like seeing my grandkids, and being in their classrooms to see what?s going on and to interactive with their friends. Since I have four grandchildren here, I run back and fourth between classes. You miss a part of someone?s program because you?re in one class, then you have to run into another classroom, but it?s great.?

As a grandchild, Mikayla looks forward to being with her grandparents and seeing other students with theirs every year.

?I just like seeing everyone?s grandparents and how they interact with each other,? Messer said. ?I also like showing my grandparents my classes and what I do at school.?

Although most students have further years of Grandparents Day to look forward to, seniors experienced their final year of getting the chance to spend time with their grandparents for a day at school.

?I?m kind of sad that it?s the last time, but I?m glad I get to spend it with them,? senior Mitch Weibert said. ?They came every year during elementary school, and for most of my high school years. It brings back old memories from being little and spending time with them because we don?t get to do it as much since we?re in high school. It?s a nice way to remember how important they are.?

Weibert?s grandmother, Jeanie Olson, shares her thoughts on the event and the opportunity to support her grandson, especially in his final year of high school.

?I think it?s great to come and see what he?s doing,? Olson said. ?I enjoy even meeting other grandparents and getting to see the teachers, and learn about everything. It?s just a good way to support my grandson, but it?s also sad because it?s the last year since he?s graduating.?

The opportunity for grandparents to spend part of the day with their grandchildren at school also provides a time for teachers to have more relaxed class periods throughout the day.

According to freshman Summer Villanueba, Grandparents Day not only gives her time to be with her grandparents, but also allows students to enjoy their day without having to worry about making mistakes in class.

?My favorite part about the day is that I can have my grandparent beside me,? Villanueba said. ?Also, all the ?special? treatment we get from the teachers. Before this day you are more likely to be yelled at by a silly mistake, when today you don?t have to worry because all the teachers act nice and friendly to put on a good impression. At the end of the day, I just like to see the smile on my grandparents? faces and the kiss on the cheek I receive from my grandpa.”

For more information on Grandparents Day, read the Oct. 18 article,
BRIEF: Grandparents Day to be held friday or the Sept. 22, 2010 article, Grandparents Day to connect generations.