LETTER: Cherish relationships this season

As Thanksgiving approaches, we often times overfill our schedule or get caught up in the holiday commotion and simply forget to give thanks. Many times in my own life, I forget about the multiple times God has provided for me throughout the year, and sometimes become oblivious to the abundant blessings he has imparted to my life.

As an only child, I’ve been raised by a single mother my entire life, and sometimes find it difficult to give thanks for family. Not having a father figure to mentor me or siblings to share in all the ups and downs of life has proven difficult. However, when I take a minute to think about it, I realize how fortunate I am to have a mother who is willing to love me and sacrifice so much in order to offer me opportunities for success. She has always been there to support me through all my athletics and schooling.

Sometimes it only takes that one person to believe in you to help you press through the seemingly overwhelming struggles of life. We should all be grateful for the family placed in our lives, whether big or small.

Here at Fresno Christian, it is easy to lose sight of the unique opportunities and privileges we are granted. At public schools, you are often not allowed to freely speak the name of Jesus, carry the Bible with you everywhere, hold worship chapels, pray in classrooms or meet with peers in small groups to discuss life issues through a biblical perspective.

Despite having never experienced a large family, I’ve been able to develop numerous relationships with my peers, which has helped me immensely by allowing me to posses friends which keep me accountable in my Christian walk. It is a great encouragement to be able to relate to fellow students in their daily struggles of life. With the small number of students at FC, we are able to generate a family atmosphere that provides a closeness within the student body.

Knowing that there is always someone there ready to help support me is an amazing reassurance.

As I have grown up with my classmates, I am able to have the kind of relationship that is talked about in Scripture. Proverbs 27:17 states: “As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” I can not even imagine where I would be without continuous encouragement from my friends, as they consistently help to shape the person I want to be.

This Thanksgiving, we can be thankful for something we probably won’t find anywhere else: Christ-centered relationships that encourage us to preserver through our daily struggles. There’s so many things to be greatful for, and it’s the little things like this that should be the main focus of the season.

For more letters, read the Oct. 3 submission, LETTER: President presents homecoming plans.