North India Bar and Grill serves exotic fare

Have you ever wondered what authentic Indian food tastes like without having to travel thousands of miles across the world? Well North Indian Bar and Grill serves a great variety of traditional Indian food in an attempt to bring an authentic and exotic experience to Clovis.

Presenting an Eastern Asian theme with succulent meats and the freshest produce, customers are able to enjoy a variety of combinations ranging from chicken tandoori to lamb tiki Marsala.

After I had a bad experience with Indian food in England, I was very skeptical about North India Bar and Grill. I wasn’t fond of the British Indian food or the spices I had tried, but decided to eat with an open mind, and found it to be the best choice I have made in a while, pertaining to food selection.

North Indian Bar and Grill had tantalized many taste buds in the San Francisco Bay area for 15 years. It was ranked first in the bay area for exotic Indian-style food and has won various awards for their culinary perfection.

Since their relocation from San Francisco in 2006, North India Bar and Grill has been serving Clovis and Fresno, seven days a week, for lunch and dinner, while offering a large plate for a great price.

Before entering the eatery, I was amazed by the detailed Turkish and Indian architecture that surrounded the establishment. I was fascinated by the exotic earth-colored decor and replicated brick-clay columns. This awe was further amplified when I entered the restaurant, which featured a miniature waterfall in its center and beautiful chandeliers that hung from the ceiling. The pastel-colored walls blended well with the eatery’s detailed woodwork.

I was quickly designated to sit next to the bar, which was dormant at the time, making me feel unwanted due to the lack of people on that side of the restaurant. After a short period of time, my waiter came to greet me and took my order.

The starter of the meal was a salad, which was anything but ordinary. It had a mango dressing on top that was so refreshing that I couldn’t put my fork down. The cold slices of cucumber and bright red tomatoes added to the freshness of my almost tropical-tasting starter.

Shortly after I had finished my salad, I was served the main dish: lamb curry. Within the first bite I discovered that the lamb was tender and delectable, allowing it to fall apart in my mouth. The sauce that covered the dish raged with a spicy ting, leaving me addicted to my plate. The sauce that covered my lamb was thick and creamy, similar to a tomato bisque but better. The curry was used just enough to give the dish a kick, but was mixed with a blend of sweetness that acted as a neutral to make the lamb more enjoyable.

On my plate also laid two thick slices of naan, which is a Indian-style flat bread. The bread reminded me of a large, homemade flour tortilla, but the texture was slightly different. The naan was very crispy on the outside but warm and soft in the middle, which was perfect for its task to scoop the lamb, lentils and vegetables together to enjoy in one bite.

Across from the lamb was a smaller portion of lentils that I surprisingly liked. These lentils in particular were different because of the spices used, which included turmeric, ginger, cumin and coriander. They were very crunchy, which I liked, making the experience more enjoyable.

Underneath this food and on the side of my plate were vegetables and basmati rice. The rice was served in a savory Indian style with whole spices, fried onions and a pinch of curry. The vegetables were some of the best I have tasted in a while. They were steam-cooked slowly and mixed with curry and other spices I was not used to tasting on vegetables.

If you are looking for an exotic place to eat at in Fresno, North India Bar and Grill is the place. The service is superb with the waiters and the restaurant creating a well-blended, family-oriented aura.

North India Bar and Grill is one of the few restaurants that everyone will like. The ambiance and the food are excellent, with the best service and food selection I have experienced at an Indian restaurant.

The preparation and the quality of the food served is an eye-opener, not because of the various colors, but because of the different spices one can smell in the air. North India Bar and Grill is an exeptional choice for those who are looking for anything from a Friday night hangout to a Sunday afternoon brunch.

For two people, a lunch plate is $8, and my total bill came to be $21.54, including a desert specialty for $5. North India is very economical and they have a large variety of food to serve at an outstanding price.

North India Bar and Grill is located In the Village Square Shopping Center at 80 W. Shaw Avenue. They can be contacted at 559.325.7788.

For more food reviews, read the Oct. 27 article, Western steakhouse offers plentiful options.