'Breaking Dawn' surpasses predecessors despite faults (VIDEO)

A mix between love, suspense and grief is the perfect storm of emotions for the Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part I. Intriguing fans with an action-packed story, the flick does not disappoint the expectations of thousands of girls.

The beloved cast of Twilight returns to tell another part of their story, touching the hearts of its audience. Though it is a huge improvement from the previous three films, this flick could still use a couple of enhancements.

The movie begins with Bella Swan (Kirsten Stewart) and Edward Cullen’s (Robert Pattinson) breathtaking wedding. During the glorious event, Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) returns to see Bella on her special day. Finding out that Bella and Edward are going to spend a romantic honeymoon together, Jacob fears for Bella’s life and leaves the celebration feeling angry and rejected.

While on the honeymoon, Bella gets an unexpected surprise when something inside her stomach begins to kick. Edward and Bella rush home not knowing what kind of creature is growing inside of her. It turns out that their is a baby and it is killing her from the inside. Surprisingly, Rosalie (Nikki Reed), Edward’s adopted sister, is the only one who will stand by Bella’s side while the others want to take the vampire-human creature out of her.

The rest of the movie revolves around Bella trying to endure the obstacles at hand due to her marriage. Jacob also struggles with the decisions he needs to make as result of certain events that conspire throughout the movie.

The film met every expectation I held for it, from the costumes, to the settings, to the acting. The script was also exceptional, except for a couple slip-ups here and there. Some scenes were a bit eccentric, but were still well-played-out by the actors.

Stewart’s acting has improved throughout the movies, but I still find her to be awkward and unsure of herself. The constant stuttering and shaking of her head was unprofessional. Lead actors should have a better grasp of what they are to portray but she gives off a sense of being lost.

The main character’s acting may not have been sufficient, but other actors surpassed expectations. Seth Clearwater (Booboo Stewart) exceeded greatly in his role. Playing the part of a werewolf who likes the Cullens, he is somewhat of an outsider to his pack. His charming smile and breathtaking eyes also helped him to win the affection of my heart and the hearts of thousands of other girls.

Additionally, Lautner’s acting was very skilled and believable. When he began to cry due to the belief that something inconvenient had happened to Bella, it brought me to tears.

Some of the lines in the film could only be understood by the part of the audience who have read the books. I understand that filmmakers wanted to keep the movie true to the book, but it should have been expressed in a more comprehensible way. When Jacob and the rest of his pack speak to each other in their wolf forms, their voices echo in bizarre ways. I would have been lost by some of the lines spoken in this scene if I had not read the books beforehand, due to the peculiar voices.

Yet some of the movie’s scenes were kind of bizarre. For instance, in a scene where Bella goes through immense pain I was disgusted and traumatized. The sounds made this portion of the movie even worse than it needed to be. In fact, it was so repulsive that some actually had to leave the theater due to sickness. Additionally, the sequence of freezing Bella’s veins was a waste of the audience’s time. This scene made me feel like I was watching a children’s science show; it was unneeded and pointless.

However, despite some downfalls, Breaking Dawn Part I outshines its predecessors. The acting, besides that of the main character, was exceptional. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, gripped with suspense of what might happen next. The cliffhanger at the end left me more than enthusiastic to see what happens in the movies second part.

The next film, Breaking Dawn Part II, will be released Nov. 16, 2012.

Breaking Dawn Part I is rated PG-13 for disturbing images, violence, sexuality/partial nudity and some thematic elements, and is playing in most local theaters. For tickets and showtimes, visit Fandango.

For more movie reviews, read the Nov. 22 article, Star-studded cast completes ‘Arthur Christmas’ (VIDEO).