EDITORIAL: Keep things in hindsight this Turkey Day

According to Think Quest, 800 million people worldwide suffer from hunger and malnutrition; 3 billion people hardly survive off of $2 per day; someone dies of hunger every 3.6 seconds.

But we have good news! Free range turkeys are solving all of our problems regarding cruelty toward turkeys, and we now have the option of soy turkeys to avoid the issue altogether! What a wonderful world we live in.

It gets even better, though. Every television show and website has tips for the perfect turkey preparation. After you’ve settled it an a car seat, rubbed it with baby oil and let it defrost in a crib, you won’t be at lost for recipes to bake it, basque it, fry it, soak it, saute it, hug it, kiss it, etc.

On top of this fantastic news, we all have Black Friday to look forward to after we suffer through those awkward family dinners and arguments on Thanksgiving. If you’re really up for it, you can skip that gathering altogether, and stake out a place in line in preparation to blow all of that money you saved up this year!

The Feather staff hopes that you have caught onto our point, and understand that the previous three paragraphs were complete and utter sarcasm, and highly exaggerated.

This holiday season, our encouragement to readers is simple: Keep things in perspective. We could come at you all with a cliche approach on Thanksgiving and tell you to count your blessings, but we will cut the fluff and say what we really want everyone to hear.

Turkeys are great. People are getting more and more creative with their recipes (have you hear of a turducken? A chicken in a duck in a turkey?), and we love to see people taking advantage of their resources and being innovative. Thumbs up to them.

However, Business Insider says, “Americans will fork over $15 billion to the turkey farming industry in 2011.” Thumbs down.

Instead of putting money into that bank, maybe try something new this year. Choose to volunteer, or give that turkey away to someone who doesn’t have one. The taste of charity is a lot sweeter than the taste of cranberry sauce.

If you do have that turkey, enjoy it thoroughly. Try out some new inspired recipes, and give your Thanksgiving a kick! If you possess a concern for animals and want to give a lending hand, support animal rights with a substitute turkey or none at all. Let it be a time to participate in an action that you think is the right thing to do.

If you’ve got some awesome ideas for Christmas gifts and you have a bundle of energy (and stamina), hit the malls on Black Friday! There are some fantastic deals going on, and it’d be a shame to miss out on a $200 HD television.

If you have dinner with family, relish the time together. Many families are split up between school, work and relationships, but whatever the situation, remember to tell your family that you love them.

Through all of this, don’t lose sight of the genuine value in each item that you hold dear. If all of your attention and money is going to a gourmet turkey and the chance to trample people to get that knockoff iPad, rethink the situation.

We encourage our readers to utilize their resources and take advantage of their situations this Thanksgiving. It isn’t a time to feel guilty for having too much; it’s a time to be thankful for what has been provided in life. Don’t live the holidays in misery because other people are starving, but, rather, take action to support them if it’s on your heart.

Live out Thanksgiving to its fullest. Rejoice in your turkey, your $200 HD television and yes, even that turducken.

For more editorials, read the Oct. 28 article, EDITORIAL: Living vitally.